More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Just sharing, only quickly skimmed.

How to Use Schema Markup for Local SEO | Search Engine Journal

Making sure a business’ geographic and contact information is listed correctly on their website should be the first step when it comes to implementing schema onto a website. The Local Business section of Schema.org has a variety of categories that businesses can implement as part of the footer or contact page of their website, including address, phone, fax, operating hours, and even accepted payment types.
Other good Schema posts can be found in the "Similar Threads" section below.

Regarding NAP, if you have to choose between one or the other, I would personally recommend schema as that seems to be what the industry is shifting towards, however, to my knowledge Google is still continuing support for hcard and other markups at this time.

In my practices, our NAP markup is using both schema.org and hcard at the same time. I would imagine you can markup reviews with both as well.

-alex

I think I read somewhere you should not use double markups on the same page.

I don't think it would be a prob to use hCard on reviews and Schema on NAP on the same page. But I personally would not use BOTH for NAP.

What I USED to do in my Automated Local SEO Template awhile back in order to try to cover both bases was to use Hcard on NAP in the footer and Schema on NAP on Contact US page. But now that Schema adoption is so high, I switched and only use it in both places. As well as 6 other types of "Local Hooks" in other places of the site that are all in different coding that helps boost local trust.

Linda, do you recall where you may have seen that advice?

I'm basically using the same hcard/schema markup that Chris Silver Smith is using on his site, with the assumption he probably knows what he is doing. As of right now, I haven't seen any repercussions, both positive or negative.

Hey Alex. Yes Chris knows his stuff for sure.

I don't remember where I saw it but I think I've seen it a couple times from pretty good authority sites back when I was researching all the options for my template system. I think I've seen it on the really techy microformat sites somewhere.

See if a Google search pulls anything up or I'll try to find tonight if I get time.

Here's a couple things I found.

Quote from the Chair of the group at the World Wide Web Consortium that created RDFa:

The schema.org site makes it appear as if you must pick sides and use Microdata if you want preferential treatment. This is a false choice! They even state that you cannot SemTech 2011 BOF on structured data in HTML -- 08 June 2011use RDFa and Microdata and Microformats on the same page as it will confuse their parsers – forcing Web designers to exclusively use Microdata or be lost in the morass of search listings [Edit: Google has since retracted this statement.].

An Introduction to Structured Data Markup | Webdesigntuts+

Before we begin exploring these markup types, you need to keep one thing in mind: you can’t use more than one type of structured data on a single web page, because it potentially confuses search engines.

No time to dig more but looks like there is some confusion.

But it's possible that's old info and now things have changed or it's been corrected/clarified somewhere.

Thanks for sharing that. It kinda sounds like no one is for certain yet.

I tested a directory that uses both schema and hcard for the same NAP with the structured data testing tool and it appears Google is able to differentiate between the two. As far as Bing, and Yahoo, I'll have to test Bing later using their markup tester tool and for Yahoo, I don't believe I have seen structured data in their results yet and would even know where to start to test for them.

Example

Thanks again
-alex

I saw this thread and thought to myself oh good - I'm going to get this straight once and for all - not happening. And this is on my own site!

I got a schema plug in last week and finally got around to filling it out. So, am I supposed to fill out all the fields or just what I want to actually appear on the page? Should I do this on every page and change the description to suit what the page is about? The schema refers to my company so I'm a little leery of alternating descriptions.
Putting in the footer is fine except that it's too much info for the footer and I already have NAP in the footer.

So far I put it on the contact page with all fields filled.

I'd really like to gain a decent understanding of schema and markup to better serve clients. Suggestions??

Thanks

Hey Chris, sorry under the gun trying to help lots of folks with problems, but look below this post for help with all your Schema questions or use the search box.

I just finished my Local SEO training and taught everyone to use my automated Local SEO template which uses 7 "Local Hooks" including schema and does all the formatting on all the different coding for you. And talked all about schema for multi-location businesses and a bunch of other schema stuff. So I'm all schema'ed out right now.

In a couple days when I get caught up I'll try to circle back if you don't find answers in all the othe schema threads we have here. This is just one of many!

What about business listings with hidden address(hvac, plumber, etc - serving customers at their location)?
Does adding NAP in schema format to footer of the website good idea?

Hi mloy and welcome!

Yes it's still a good idea. The address is only hidden from viewers on the live listing. Google is still looking at the address in the dashboard and matching it up with citations, which builds trust. The web site itself is one of the most important citations so it really helps if the address is visible there and matches what's in dash.

Hi mloy and welcome!

Yes it's still a good idea. The address is only hidden from viewers on the live listing. Google is still looking at the address in the dashboard and matching it up with citations, which builds trust. The web site itself is one of the most important citations so it really helps if the address is visible there and matches what's in dash.
Hi Linda, thank you! Was hesitating should i add schema on the website or not:)
I have one more question on Schema Markup:
My client have several customers who have small blogs(blogspost, etc) and they agree to write posts about the business. Does putting NAP in schema format will help google to find these posts and classify them as citation comparing if the post has just NAP in text format? Should i ask them to use Schema when posting review?

Guys any feedback on this?
Does using schema NAP on 3rd party sites(web 2.0 blogs, press releases sites, quest blogs, etc) gives any advantage instead of using regular(text) NAP? Does it help google to find it as classify as citation?
Or should the schema NAP be used ONLY on company website?

Does using schema NAP on 3rd party sites(web 2.0 blogs, press releases sites, quest blogs, etc) gives any advantage instead of using regular(text) NAP? Does it help google to find it as classify as citation?

No I don't think there is any advantage to client. Mainly important on their own site.

Sorry to dig up an older thread but I am starting to dabble with markup for my own research. Specifically, the footer markup.

I am aware of two ways to markup content, hcard and schema. I remember from the training that hcard markup was used for the footer address. My question is, whichever I decide to use, do I place the address in the footer then markup the address in the footer? I'm not quite sure exactly how I mark it up. Just want to make sure I understand the terminology correctly, since I've never used it before.

I would markup the citation first, then copy-paste it onto the site.

for example

HTML:
<span itemscope="itemscope" itemtype="http://schema.org/LocalBusiness">
<strong itemprop="name">NAME</strong></br>
<span itemprop="address" itemscope="itemscope" itemtype="http://schema.org/PostalAddress">
<span itemprop="streetAddress">STREETADDRESS</span>
<span itemprop="addressLocality">CITY</span>,
<span itemprop="addressRegion">ST</span>
<span itemprop="postalCode">ZIP</span>
<br/>Telephone: <span itemprop="telephone">PHONE</span>
</span>
<span itemprop="geo" itemscope="itemscope" itemtype="http://schema.org/GeoCoordinates"><meta itemprop="latitude" content="11.11111" /><meta itemprop="longitude" content="-88.88888" /></span>
</span>

Fill in with your business name, address, city, state, zip, phone, and lat/long coordinates. Once filled in, apply code to the page. Please note, the formatting may need to be adjusted depending upon your sites theme.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom