More threads by JoshuaMackens

I have a feeling that we are in a loop with verification because we are using the same ip to claim many listings. I wonder if this is happening to other people claiming a listing on a "clean" ip and for the 1st time.

What I am saying is that maybe the system is not broken but blocking us, what do you think?

I have run many tests and cannot figure out what is tripping up my submission, Is it the ip?
Is it my voip phone line?
Is it the company name (not registered by the state)?
Is it the email used when registering?
Is it the address of the business (private house)?

Anyway, just my two cents on a topic that is driving me nuts in the last 3-4 months

Honestly, I think it's just broke.

We've used proxies and it doesn't work. We've used different devices on different IP's, doesn't work.

If anyone else knows anything, speak up!

Tracking parameters on URLs really won't hurt you. Moz local might need those parameters to accurately report clicks, so I doubt they'll be OK removing one-off (but it never hurts to ask). I think the only way tracking parameters on a URL will hurt you is if you have specific rule-based analytics reporting internally. The only case I've had that issue is in my current position at DSG, our analytics team reported misappropriated traffic because a rule wasn't in place to catch the parameters. It didn't affect search engine traffic or ranking, just how the traffic was reported internally.

As long as you can accurately explain what the parameters are, and what the purpose is, I don't see how those could be an issue.

While I think from a technical perspective, this makes total sense, I think in light of the fact that we honestly just don't know how Google works completely, we can say that anything is on the table in terms of small things that affect ranking.

Ideally? Yes, Google wouldn't allow URL parameters to mess up ranking. However, there are many simple things Google gets wrong on a consistent basis. Remember the "reported closed" issue Joy discovered? You would think it would be pretty simple for Google to understand that a reported closed location shouldn't affect an open location but it did anyway.

Yes, it shouldn't affect ranking. But it's just one more thing we have to consider when troubleshooting.

I also don't really care for the fact they didn't have a way to opt out of that feature. It was just forced on everyone. Not to mention that their reason for including the parameter was for some type of analytics. I don't think I'm alone when I say that most analytics program from 3rd parties are so shallow that they're near useless. Is there really a substantial cost benefit trade-off here to put URL parameters on your listings? From what I've seen in the analytics reporting section on Moz Local recently, not really, unless I've missed something or they're coming out with something new.

It's fine if they want to include this by default but they should have an opt out feature for those of us that don't want it.

I have done just about everything without success.

Used real a landline.
New business name with citation already created.
New Email
Fresh IP
Different Categories

I've called in on several occasions and have been asked if it's a VOIP line every time, asked to submit and wait 2 weeks and that the system will call.

I honestly don't think the employees have a clue to what's really going on, it's like they're reading from an old script.

The account get's created and verified, but the business information is not being populated into the verified account or submitted.

Puzzling for sure!

Moreover, when i try to edit a freshly verified listing, the changes made do not seem to stick after i hit save - of course i take care to activate the green 'Confirm' button below each field.

Hi Vijay, I'm experiencing the same issue after entering and saving. I always receive the following popup message:
"Updates have been submitted, we'll review them and let you know when they're approved."​

However, when I refresh my screen my changes are missing. Like you, I activate the green "Confirm" button (not sure what that's about) for each data field before saving. I've tried different browsers, clearing history/cache, and different computers (on same network).

Any ideas?

Hi Vijay, I'm experiencing the same issue after entering and saving. I always receive the following popup message:
"Updates have been submitted, we'll review them and let you know when they're approved."​

However, when I refresh my screen my changes are missing. Like you, I activate the green "Confirm" button (not sure what that's about) for each data field before saving. I've tried different browsers, clearing history/cache, and different computers (on same network).

Any ideas?

They're claiming now that they are moderating changes before they go through. Not sure if they're actually telling the truth or not. Many of our changes aren't making it live after weeks/months of waiting.

Keep in mind that EU has a very sour attitude toward agencies. They're extremely rude when you call in. They only want the business owner to call in because if you're an agency, they don't want you using their free service center, they want you paying them for their bulk upload feature. So they're likeliness to change things based on our suggestions is low. But it seems like their system is broke and seeing how they don't care very much to fix it, it may be an overall sign of the health of their company and the future of ExpressUpdate as a whole.

Much like how a directory's demise is forecasted by the depreciation of the quality of their service, so it is for data aggregators as well. Maybe Factual has passed them up. We'll see.

And now MOZ Local is not picking up the ExpUpdate listing if even if there exists one - not sure about the MOZ Pro 'check listing' scan report though.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom