More threads by Melissa Caldie

Reaction score
Here's a new issue for you!

2 different listings, same/similar problem. After verifying/editing the listing, Google created a duplicate of the listing! BUT it's not showing as a duplicate in our dashboard (I'm still only seeing the 1 verified listing). We've found the issue by doing a simple Google search for the listing and finding duplicates.

I believe on both listings, we changed the name but not the address or phone. Could this have caused an issue?

Example 1:
Listing URL that we originally claimed/verified (via manual verification): http://plus.google.com/115478627840177746691/about
Other, "new" listing: http://plus.google.com/115478627840177746691/about

When I click "see your listing on Google", I get the "we currently do not support" issue. When I click to manage either page, it takes me back to the dashboard.
Example 2:
Listing URL that was originally claimed/verified: http://plus.google.com/108539281877496141641/about?gl=US&hl=en-US
Listing URL that the dashboard takes me to: https://plus.google.com/107126548984668059217/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Again, when I click to manage either page, it takes me back to the dashboard.

Melissa this is something I cover in the upcoming training you are taking.

If you edit NAP during claiming this often (or maybe always) happens. Instead of applying your changes to the listing you THINK you are editing, it splits your changes off into a new listing. Then if the change is not too drastic, the 2 listings will merge back together in about 6 weeks usually.

I teach a whole bunch of steps and tricks to help you avoid this whole problem.

But now that it's already happened, I think you'll just need to wait for them to merge back together.

Again, when I click to manage either page, it takes me back to the dashboard.

FYI if you are logged into that account ANY listing that's claimed will take you to THAT account. So that's not an indicator. If you click manage listing on MY claimed listing it will take you to THAT dashboard you are logged into too.

FYI too - hard for me to tell what info you entered and which is new or old or split or whatever... but both businesses I see city repeated in the description. That's something I cover too and it should be avoided. It can cause a 10 point ranking drop.

Thanks for the help (and the increase in anxiety)! Can't wait for that training!

We're wondering though... how could this have happened with a listing that Google manually verified for us??

We're wondering though... how could this have happened with a listing that Google manually verified for us??

Sorry that comment threw me. What do you mean Google "manually verified" for you??? How could she do that?

In your 1st post you said "After verifying/editing the listing, Google created a duplicate of the listing!

I believe on both listings, we changed the name but not the address or phone."

So I took that to mean YOU verified and change the name at the same time. That's what I thought you were saying. And that's what everything I explained had to do with.

If that's NOT what happened then please explain in much greater detail exactly what happened step by step and how Google manually verified for you, so I don't waste any more time possibly going down the wrong path.

Sorry, Linda. By manual verification, I mean we clicked on the help button, clicked verification issues, clicked "I tried PIN verification...", "status is needs actions" and gave the listing title and address for someone at Google to verify the listing for us (we call it manual verification in our office).

For the listing under Example 1: we changed the name and added categories, description, photos, etc. We had the postcard sent to the location numerous times with no luck, so went with the "manual verification" route.

For the listing under Example 2: we changed the name and added categories, description, photos, etx. No verification was needed since the listing had previously been verified.

Hope that explains a little better!

Well now I'm even more confused.

#1 I don't know.

"#2 we changed the name and added categories, description, photos, etx. No verification was needed since the listing had previously been verified."

Any time you change name it should FORCE you to re-verify.

So are you saying YOU verified that one? And then AFTER you got the pin and verified, THEN you changed name and it did not force you to verify?

OR are you saying Google verified that one too?

OR are you saying client had previously verified. Gave you log in and you changed name?

In either case it should have forced you to re-verify when you change the name.

Sorry it's SOOOO hard to just trouble-shoot based on someone just explaining, because there are so many details and different things that can happen or can go wrong. So hard to troubleshoot without looking at dash and getting complete history sometimes which is beyond the free help I can give everyone here at the forum because I'm spread so thin trying to help so many people here and at the Google forum.

Linda, I completely understand if you don't have the bandwidth to help out. These two problem listings have just gotten more confusing...

#1: now the listing on the dashboard is in review along with one of their other listings. So now 2 out of their 3 listings are in review. Could this be because we did the "manual verification"? I'm going to let it sit and follow up in 2 weeks before doing anything here.

#2: Client previously verified, gave me the login, and I changed the name with no verification needed.

I'm going to add to the confusion with this one now(sorry in advance): As I was realizing the issue and submitting the problem here on the forum, the client wanted me to change the name BACK to the original name (we'll call this Name A). So, we changed the name back from Name B to Name A. Again, no verification needed. NOW the client wants me to change the name back AGAIN to Name B.

I've stopped all work on this account until I can figure out what to do here. (I'm willing to take an answer of "let's wait till training to address these" if this is getting far too complicated)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom