More threads by Conor Treacy

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I saw on the Google+ feed for Local Search Pros a link to a "Google Guideline Checker by Synup" - and it performs well (Google Guideline Checker - Synup)

However, when checking our name as listed on Google+, it gives me a red flag warning for the Business Name. Our official name is "Big Red SEO, LLC" and it's listed as such everywhere. Every directory listing should include the LLC as well as all our signatures, invoices, audits, letterhead, outdoor signage, office entrance and vehicle wraps.

It's the first time that I've seen that "LLC, Inc, etc" should not be used in the Business Name. The guidelines from Google state: "Represent your business as it?s consistently represented and recognized in the real world across signage, stationery, and other branding." - https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en

Any thoughts? Should we have killed the "LLC" portion and update our directory & business listings etc?

Hi Conor,

I'm with you. This is my understanding as well.

"It's the first time that I've seen that "LLC, Inc, etc" should not be used in the Business Name. The guidelines from Google state: "Represent your business as it’s consistently represented and recognized in the real world across signage, stationery, and other branding."

Hi Conor:

We too are an LLC and when we first started out on the SEO journey, we used "LLC" in our name. Then a funny thing happened... Over time the LLC was being dropped by aggregators. We found ourselves being truncated to "Equitable Mediation Services" and in some cases "Equitable Mediation."

Over the years, we're dropped the LLC (just following along with what InfoExpress did) and to date, it has worked well. We run across the occasional listing where "Services" has been dropped and we politely correct it, but the LLC has been long disappeared even though it is our official name.

In short - be consistent across the web and you should be fine. Even if your contract or the sign on your truck (not sure what business you're in) says "LLC."

Good luck!
Joe

Sounds to me like the tool is getting a little overzealous. You're right, there's definitely no explicit recommendation by Google to use or not to use LLC, aside from what was mentioned (use what your business is known as in the real world). That said, many businesses with an LLC in their official name don't actually use it in the real world, so that might be why the creator thought to include that in the tool. That's my guess at least. I'm with Linda, stay consistent and you'll be fine.

I doubt Google would ever care enough to enforce that so you are totally fine. With or without the LLC, they would be able to figure out that Big Red SEO LLC is the same as Big Red SEO.

Worse case scenario is that they don't like it and remove it off your name. It's not a serious violation or anything that would get your listing removed.

The actual rule says: "Your name must not include: Special characters (e.g. %&$@/") or irrelevant legal terms unless they are part of your business?s real world representation

So you're fine.

I doubt this is even a factor Google takes into account. As long as you maintain consistency, you should be fine.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom