More threads by Marcus

Marcus

Reaction score
Hi all

I've had a top 3 local ranking (start of this week) drop all week, first to the bottom of page 1, then page 2 etc now it sits on page 5 where there really should be no comparison in terms of competition.

The only thing that has really been changing is continued citation work to ensure they are more accurate - I guess some natural factors as well such as unstructured citations being noticed, new reviews etc - but nothing major that I can spot.

No notices in GSC or GMB.

Has anyone had a similar experience or is able to shed any light on this type of drop?

Thanks!

Hi Marcus,

I have not heard of lots of sudden drops from others, so am not aware of an algo change.

There are a myriad of reasons a drop like this could occur. So we'd be guessing in the dark without seeing your listing.

Are you able to share a link to your Google+ page so we can investigate for you?

Just to add, I've only found this for certain search terms (more popular - higher volume).

The listing still appears high for other terms.

Just to add, I've only found this for certain search terms (more popular - higher volume).

The listing still appears high for other terms.

That's helpful to know. Can you give an example of one search phrase where you used to rank high and then dropped?

Yes - 'hotels in York' was in the top few results, now around page 4-5.

Still appears to rank around position 2 for 'York hotel'.

Thanks Joy!

Plus there are some problems in Map Maker with another listing that could play in.

Really sorry but I need to leave for the day. Will try to explain tomorrow if no one else does.

I think what Linda saw was probably this listing:
Google Map Maker

GMB profile here:
https://plus.google.com/114700269642703641331/about

The timeframe doesn't line up, so I don't know if this is what's causing problems, but in general it's not good to have a second business registered at the exact same address with the same phone number. I see that two different users have tried to mark the garden room as being gone though, if they're actually no longer a business there, might be good to get that squared away for just in case.

Thanks for all the replies.

So Garden Room is an old listing that I've tried to have deleted several times - but I know its been there a number of years - as you say James it doesn't seem to correlate with the drop.

There are also 2 other listings with the same address - a bar and a restaurant that we have at the same address.

It's my understanding that you can have multiple listings at the same address and they will be recognised as different by the name (and categories I guess).

But as they have picked up authority (those listings are around 6 months old) could they possibly be interfering?

So Garden Room is an old listing that I've tried to have deleted several times - but I know its been there a number of years - as you say James it doesn't seem to correlate with the drop.

Sorry for delay Marcus...

Thanks James, yes that Garden Room listing is the one I was referring to.

Even though timing does not coincide... the reason I mentioned that one is that Joy and I noticed in the past, if there was a closed listing for that location it would impact ranking. Since they have same address and # I thought it might be an issue. And even though edits were not approved I still wonder about the impact.

It's my understanding that you can have multiple listings at the same address and they will be recognised as different by the name (and categories I guess).

What's allowed is one thing. Will it rank is entirely different.

Drs can have one listing for the practice and one for each Dr. But those extra Dr listings almost always kill ranking for the main practice listing.

However in the typical Dr case they would all have same address, phone and cats.
In your case I assume the phone # and cats are diff so should not be an issue.

So that the extra listings in this case should not be the prob. Just wanted to let you know that just because Google allows something, does not always mean it's in your best interest - esp when it comes to ranking!

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply - appreciated!

I was actually starting to think along the same lines, although we are told you can distinguish different listings then maybe they still do have an impact on other listings at the same location.

Some citation work has been completed for the other 2 listings at the same address (different names, phone + categories) in recent weeks so it has made me wonder if they could be the problem.

But saying that - we are still ranking well for other keywords so maybe its just one of those things.

Good to hear Marcus, thanks for letting us know!

Google just being fickle again. :rolleyes:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom