More threads by dank402

Reaction score
I am working with a client to get their hospitals and clinic locations verified on GMB.

We started by verifying the hospitals then the clinics and cleaning up the many doctor/department duplicates using Map Maker, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the pink shading that designates other hospitals in the area for our campus.

It's my understanding from reading some other forums that this feature used to be baked into Map Maker but it was abused and removed? I created a boundary/grounds for the Hospital Campus and that seems to be as much designation as I can add without Google's help.

Here's a link to my verified listing for the Hospital in Map Maker: https://www.google.com/mapmaker?q=M...614738&lyt=large_map_v3&hyaw=286.192363082278

First time poster here, longtime reader. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited:
Hey There.

I think your answer can be found here:

For the hospital you indicated as displaying properly, the primary category in Google Map Maker was "Hospital". For the hospital you indicated as not displaying properly: The primary category was set to "Grounds / Boundary" with a secondary category of "Hospital". I applied an edit in Map Maker to make the primary category "Hospital".

The location has a category of Hospital, but I cannot designate a category of Hospital to a grounds/boundary. The option does not exist in the drop down menu.

I appreciate your reply, but that forum thread is almost 3 years old, and I suspect Map Maker has changed a bit in that time...

Here's what I am seeing on my end

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 10.40.27 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 10.40.27 AM.jpg

I'm checking with a couple of the MapMaker TCs.

Okay here's what I've heard so far.

From DDave (MapMaker TC):

First of all, it needs to be an unnamed boundary, the name they added is a description and is not allowed. The website also needs to be removed. The boundary needs to be just blank with no information about the hospital.
When Google split POIs from boundaries a lot of issues cropped up, one of them is that some categories were no longer available to the boundary features. I can't remember if "hospital" was one of them, but there's nothing we can do in Map Maker other than report it to Google, which they have already done. They just need to wait for Google to process the request, and we can escalate it if it's still pending after a month.

I'm still talking to them but I would undo that last edit you made on June 9th: https://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=39&fid=0x87938d1151a984b3:0xf042f158d98700a0

Okay so all you need to do is undo that I edit I referenced. I approved your edit to add the boundary to the listing for the hospital and sent an escalation to Google to make the category a hospital since it's something only they can do. I'll post back here when I hear back. Not sure how long it will take. Sometimes 1 day, sometimes a week or 2.

Thanks for pinging me Joy.

There is no direct way to influence the colouring any longer since POIs and their boundaries were separated. The best you can hope for is to mark that the hospital belongs to the boundary, which I can see you already did.

I've submitted a report asking that the shading be added, but I can't promise that will work.

As a note, I've made an edit to remove the name and website from the boundary. Boundaries and POIs were purposely separated, and since all that information is present in the POI it does not get duplicated on the boundary.

Flash - I approved your edit so that's done now.

FWIW Flash do you think Google will ever make these features editable? The ability to add shading etc?

Thank you both for clearing that up. I knew I came to the right place! Seriously can't thank you enough for investigating that and providing this advice.

I also didn't realize I was doing something wrong by "over labeling" the boundary and including the website, so thanks for pointing that out. I am definitely new to Map Maker, but want to play by the rules :p, it's an incredibly effective tool.

Just checked on Maps and noticed the change went live! Thanks again to everyone who helped me sort this out.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom