More threads by Linda Buquet

Re: Google Just Announced at #SMX 3 Pack will include 1 Ad & Only 2 Listings per Joy

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe to show in the local finder ads currently you need an address in the city. I imagine it would work the same way.

Can anyone confirm this? Joy or Eric?

I'd be really interested in knowing this as well

Re: Google Just Announced at #SMX 3 Pack will include 1 Ad & Only 2 Listings per Joy

Yes, confirmed that you need a GMB page and are using location extensions in your ad campaign - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3246303?hl=en

You can set a targeting radius though, so this is just an "upgraded" location extension. I use quotes because it's good for PPC, not necessarily for Local SEO.

I'll have to dig into the AdWords forums a little more to see if there are additional restrictions on where the location extensions can show. I know you can bid by location, but I don't know if there's a limit. I assume it's set up by quality score - so if you're using location extensions and targeting a city 50 miles away, you'll need to pay a huge sum to get it to show over someone who is physically located in that city. Will keep digging though.

The farther away you get, the less likely the location extension will show. It's also based on things like Quality Score and ad relevance. So if Google has 6 people to choose from, and 1 spot, they would probably pick the one that's most relevant (actually in that city) with the better quality score/performing ads. I think it's definitely possible to show in surrounding cities but not as likely if there are lots of good competitors who are actually in that city with great AdWords accounts.

I think it's definitely possible to show in surrounding cities but not as likely if there are lots of good competitors who are actually in that city with great AdWords accounts.

good point. That would help the search results to be more relevant also, despite it being pay to play

I'll be curious to see how much you can lock down a SERP using Ads, local ads, a top 2 local pack position and a top organic position.

So if I have a #1 3 pack listing now and this thing goes into effect, I could conceivably also have #1 and #2 by buying #1 ... that seems wrong.

@Daniel - this was actually the question I asked Google but their response didn't answer my question at all. Like usual they were overly vague.

However, I've noticed that often the location extension doesn't show if they are in the 3-pack so I would say no, it's not possible.

@Daniel - this was actually the question I asked Google but their response didn't answer my question at all. Like usual they were overly vague.

However, I've noticed that often the location extension doesn't show if they are in the 3-pack so I would say no, it's not possible.

so if you are number 2 and want to be number 1, you can't buy your way into the top spot?

Chad,

I don't *think* so but I'm checking with some of our employees to see if they've ever seen a location extension show for the same search as a business in the 3-pack.

Okay an update. I was sent several examples that showed the location extension WITH the business also being in the 3-pack but never when they shared the same domain.

So I guess to snag both spots you'd need to use a different domain in AdWords. Not overly difficult ;)

Hi Joy,

Did Google bring up the green "Deal" tag in the hotel 3-pack as being part of their new paid 3-pack offering?

Local search results for the hospitality industry have always received a slightly different treatment due to the relationships Google has with online travel agencies (OTAs) and hotel suppliers. We've been seeing the deal tag for the past few months and, as deals can come from any number of OTAs or suppliers, it has yet to impact rankings.

I look forward to seeing how the 1 paid 3-pack placement will impact us as they begin to roll this out.

As far as I know that test is already live for tons of people and is not related to this one at all.

Joy, I love your comment.

I hear a lot of complaining how Adwords is too expensive, but you are right, so is SEO now. There are a bunch of $100 month agencies that will build backlinks on a bunch of obscure platforms, but nothing good comes from that.

My suggestion is for consultants to become a Google Partner and include Adwords in their portfolio - or hire an Adwords pro. It's not an easy platform to master. Some significant updates coming to the interface soon as well.

I agree, that if you are working a well-diverse plan or strategy, who cares.....
Google should only be a part of what you do, and not the sole reliable means of getting business or being noticed.....

And, nobody will ever stop a corporation from making decisions for profit, good or bad......Be flexible, adapt, and improvise.......Right?

I thought I'd bump this one up as I'm seeing the ads for my clients on map search for desktop and mobile

Ooooh can you share a screenshot?

We know that the 3/2 pack has become the prime real estate for a businesses GMB listing, but has anyone come across a solid number for what % of searchers do (or don't) click to see "more places"?

Thanks!

Very good question Meghan. Would be interesting to know.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom