More threads by pbarnhart

Reaction score
We noticed some bizarre results yesterday monitoring clients - but this afternoon (7/14) we are seeing massive compression in local search query radius and map pack search results. In many tested areas (legal, dog boarding, photographers) we were seeing 4+ pages of map search results -- now seeing one page (two at most).

Seems like centroids have increased as well - and its different for different business types. For example, "family photographers austin" results stop at the city line (results last week included suburbs and surrounding towns. But "wedding photographers austin" takes in the whole Austin DMA.

We have been tracking results from some business verticals (here is one on this forum in fact) of these new results. But it has definitely broadened in scope.

Prep for paid map pack results? Or just a short term experiment?

Thank you for your post! Very similar results around my area as well. Local Map Pack is definitely getting more hyperlocal with these results.

Thank you James! Google has certainly narrowed Local Pack results to a smaller geo area. I ran searches for different keywords in Minneapolis/St Paul and saw very similar changes.

Conspiracy theory: Only 8 -10 results now. The ones that don't make it need to pay to play in some new revenue model. (Not saying that will happen. Just a thought.)

I checked about a dozen clients and found 1 that had their local results shrink from 14 to 11 on June 12 but no others that I could find. Are there particular industries you're seeing for? I checked a locksmith we've been tracking for years and theirs also showed no change in the last 30 days.

These are the few key phrases that I checked (with city modifier):

tattoo removal
data recovery
computer repair
ad agency
law firm

All showed fewer results in maps.

DWI Attorneys
Dog Boarding
Family Photographers
Oil Change
Coffee Shops
Pedicures
Lawn Care

All are fewer results in multiple geographic locations

Linda, I liked what you said so much here, that I had to quote you in the Advice Local blog I just published. :)

Conspiracy theory: Only 8 -10 results now. The ones that don't make it need to pay to play in some new revenue model. (Not saying that will happen. Just a thought.)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom