More threads by Robin

Great article Joy!

The A/B testing makes sense to me. I'm still seeing (be it small) fluctuations.

Great Article Joy - shared on Twitter.

We have one particular client, who took dip on Map listings, but don't really fall under any those main issues you outline. Before the update, we had just got them into top 3 pack, but now they have dropped way down map listings, for some keywords showing page 2.

@Joy - What do you think about this Possum being RankBrain getting into the local game? The more robust understanding of 'location' and the on-going A/B testing certainly seems like it could be attributed to an AI learning algo.

@heckler - it's definitely possible. I just have no way of confirming that :)

@RFK it could be something your client doesn't have (like a high organic ranking) or it could be a competitor now ranks that didn't before (thus pushing your client down). If they are in a big city, there are probably tons of listings that fit the first scenario I referenced in the article that now rank way higher, thus pushing other listings down. I also don't think I could have possibly caught all the major adjustments yet since it's only been a couple weeks. I would just look for patterns among the losers/winners based on the changes. Oh, and get a ranking tracker that takes screenshots every day - a huge help in figuring out exactly what changed.

And here is the new thread. I imagine a discussion will start up there as well, but I linked back to this thread to try to help tie everything together.

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local-important/42988-possum-update-analysis-biggest-google-local-update-since-pigeon-via-joy-hawkins.html#post85316">Possum Update Analysis
Biggest Google Local Update Since Pigeon via Joy Hawkins</a>

Great article Joy.

The filtering is something I was unaware of.

We have a client whose address is outside of what google thinks is the main city. They previously were like 20 or 30 in the maps. I'm not sure if they were filtered before. But now if I zoom in like you mention to see what's filtered they shows as #2 in maps. They have a second location but it's a town over.

Do you know what could be causing it?

Todd,

It's really hard to say without looking at it and digging in. If it is filtered I would assume it's either 1. It didn't pass the spam test (listing is too new, Google doesn't have enough on the business to trust it) or 2. There is another similar listing that is causing it to be filtered. Take a close look at every listing in the Local Finder.

Joy,

I looked at all the businesses in the local finder and nothing relates to this business.

Then I did a google search of their address and find another business in a different industry also using that address all of a sudden. I called the client and he informed me that they moved out of that location into a new one 2 weeks ago (never mentioned it to us before, ugh).

So is it because of this why they would be filtered? They are a moving company, the new business is a a/c repair company.

If so talk about bad timing.

Then I did a google search of their address and find another business in a different industry also using that address all of a sudden. I called the client and he informed me that they moved out of that location into a new one 2 weeks ago (never mentioned it to us before, ugh).

Clients! Gotta love 'em! :p

Todd,

I definitely think it's possible that Google could be filtering this way for SABs. If a dentist and a lawyer shared an address, for example, I don't think it would get impacted whatsoever because the dentist should rank fine for the dentist keywords and the lawyer for the lawyer keywords.

For moving and HVAC, however, they are both extremely spammy industries which have been known to have a ton of fake listings. Often these lead generating companies will set up like 10 listings at the same address, one for businesses in each industry so they can get leads and sell them. I wouldn't be surprised if Google expanded the filter for certain industries to filter these out.

I would definitely update your client's listing with the proper address but also it's super important to make sure it's updated on their business license with the state first.

I would also check some HVAC terms and see if the AC company is ranking.

Well all know this already but GMB support reps are now telling people that their listings are filtered due to a similar listing in the same category at the same address: https://goo.gl/9kpfg0

Interesting... that support even knows that or would share that.
Thanks for sharing Joy.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom