Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Do No Follow give any backlink juice or value ?

Getting in a news paper article with a link but no follow does that give any value or backlink juice ?

A newspaper with a 90 DA ?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Do No Follow give any backlink juice or value ?

No.

In general, we don't follow them. This means that Google does not transfer PageRank or anchor text across these links. Essentially, using nofollow causes us to drop the target links from our overall graph of the web. However, the target pages may still appear in our index if other sites link to them without using nofollow, or if the URLs are submitted to Google in a Sitemap. Also, it's important to note that other search engines may handle nofollow in slightly different ways. - https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/96569?hl=en
    Bing has made multiple statements that indicate this is the way they handle rel=nofollow as well.

It is assumed that Google does evaluate nofollow links to identify pagerank sculpting, evaluate site trustworthiness, etc. Having a good balance of nofollow links may make your site's inbound link profile appear more natural (the SEO equivelant of "eat all your vegetables" - seems like a good idea even if there is no direct proof).

And of course, if a human being is reading the article and then clicks on the link, it has value! It would make a value difference in terms of referral traffic.

But no juice.
    Last edited by pbarnhart; 09-09-2016 at 11:41 AM. Reason: sinister ducks
    Local SEO|SEM|Social| Nehmedia ~ Personal Blog

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No juice is passed as Jim said. But that doesn't mean that the link can't provide value. If the link is driving quality traffic, for example, then I would consider that a valuable link.
    Colan Nielsen l GMB Top Contributor
    Vice President, Local Search at Sterling Sky
    Connect on Google + and Twitter

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

my next question then is. Is it worth pursuing newspapers to be featured for pure seo reasons or no ?

I know it would drive traffic from a pr standpoint , but I am curious if Google would see it as a citation ?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Jim, it all depends on the source of the link and the business objectives you are trying to accomplish with your efforts.

If the businesses NAP is listed in the article than it would be considered a citation.

Colan Nielsen l GMB Top Contributor
    Vice President, Local Search at Sterling Sky
    Connect on Google + and Twitter

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I've been reading multiple examples that tertiary citations provide very little value for map pack movement. Technically, Google might possibly see it as a citation, but.... You may want to consider the points made in Local citations are dead; long live local citations!

Local press coverage benefits you on a lot of levels. But if those links are no-follow, SERP movement may not be one of them

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnhart View Post
    I've been reading multiple examples that tertiary citations provide very little value for map pack movement. Technically, Google might possibly see it as a citation, but.... You may want to consider the points made in Local citations are dead; long live local citations!

Local press coverage benefits you on a lot of levels. But if those links are no-follow, SERP movement may not be one of them

Its curious that something that could be highly sighted by high authority local news papers and sites could get no ranking benefit if they are no follow, even in context.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Just because the link is no-follow, doesn't mean it's not passing Trust. Like PageRank, Google does have a metric based on website trust. Majestic tries to recreate this by using TustFlow (TF) as a main metric to evaluate links.

You could see a benefit (even better ranking) from no-follow links depending on the context of the link. If it's a well respected, established newspaper, then I would definitely try to get a link there. All links from quality sources have value.
    My rarely updated website (I should fix that) - https://www.ericrohrback.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Want to talk? Book time with me here

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with you Eric - Google and Bing do seem to use nofollow links in a natural vs. unnatural link profile. And ANY link humans can see and click is a good link. However, JimFranco was asking specifically about the ranking value of a specific nofollow link.

When you test TrustFlow and CitationFlow for individual news articles on local news sites, you find it is usually weak. Many local news stations syndicate the heck out of stories and are constantly linking to other local news outlets in other cities. That's a lot of duplicate content, for starters. If you have a links in multiple news stories -- and a news story or two was syndicated out to other outlets, the aggregate may have some impact. As part of an overall link building and branding campaign, these kinds of links definitely benefit - but it takes a lot of them to move the SERP needle.