Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

How to Leverage Lean Methodologies for Local SEO

Hey all,

I'm a big believer in lean and agile methodologies, so try to incorporate those into our business operations as much as possible. It was really allowed us a great degree of flexibility. It has allowed us to take on more work with fewer people and allows us to improve our processes (and their value to our clients) regularly.

I just had this post go up at Moz and figured it would be valuable to the community:

https://moz.com/ugc/heres-how-were-u...-for-local-seo
    Dan Leibson
    Vice President of Local & Product
    Local SEO Guide Inc.
    @danleibson
    + Dan Leibson

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: How to Leverage Lean Methodologies for Local SEO

What sets LeanKit apart from Trello? We use Trello but I am constantly trying to rework our project management system.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

You should reach out to them and ask for a demo. It is in general much more full featured and customizable then Trello.
    Dan Leibson
    Local SEO Guide Inc.
    @danleibson
    + Dan Leibson

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Will do. Trello just added custom fields and the ability to repeat cards which was a huge win but will gladly check out LeanKit.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

There is no perfect PM system, it's really just about what works for your org and your style. If you want to check out a few more options Podio is realy feature rich as well (honestly a little to much for me).
    Dan Leibson
    Local SEO Guide Inc.
    @danleibson
    + Dan Leibson

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What are some good example board setups you could share? What kind of layouts have you found positive for your team when you do citation audits, content creation or other non-dev related projects? Also, do you share these boards with clients or just use internally?
    My rarely updated website (I should fix that) - https://www.ericrohrback.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Want to talk? Book time with me here

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I used to use Podio and loved it. The things you can do with it are amazing once you connect it with globiflow. However it became too much. Ended up having a ton of questions from our team about it continuously so we moved on.

I watched the 20 minute video on LeanKit and it definitely seems more robust than trello.

I have one question maybe you can answer. Is there a way to have a master board where you can get an overview of every board? If each client has a board, I'd love to be able to see the doing now, under review, etc. under one board and be able to operate it. For trello have to folow the card then view all the cards you are following but it doesn't break it down by list.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry guys, been traveling/SMX Easting so just getting to this now.

I can't share screenshots of any particular boards as I would have to scrub out to much stuff to make it relevant, but I can definitely talk about it.

Right now we run our board very much like a SCRUM/Agile development project. I have a "New Requests" lane, a "Ready to Start" lane, a lane for each person for their "Doing Now" tasks and a lane for our VA/Contractors. Lastly we have a "Review" lane for sign off on completion.

I actually used to have a board that organized things by clients, but that, to me, became unmanageable and kind of a mess. It's easy enough to arrange things in the "New Requests"/"Ready to Start" lane by client so you can filter down and see what is on deck for each client. This way we are working on individual tasks rather then on individual clients. I find it much more efficient and it has been much more successful for in terms of being able to iterate and improve our operations.

As for a "master board" that you can see all other boards, we just use a single board. But I can see a case where you would want to have a board for citation building/link building/site audits etc. LeanKit lets you create "drill through" relationships where you can link a task on one board, to a card on another board and that would let you keep all the high level tasks in one board, while operationally dealing with it on another board.

Hopefully that helps, happy to answer any other questions.
    Dan Leibson
    Local SEO Guide Inc.
    @danleibson
    + Dan Leibson

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Very helpful! Thanks Dan
    My rarely updated website (I should fix that) - https://www.ericrohrback.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Want to talk? Book time with me here

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Dan! I was going to spend some time building out a sample board that would use for a client then figured I'd wait for your response instead. Glad I did because I would have probably wasted my time, I see how the single board would be beneficial.

I have a few questions and am in no hurry for a response. Get back to me on them next week. Enjoy SMX and all it entails.

You let your VA’s see your entire project?
    Do you differentiate what card is for which client by tags, card types, something else or nothing?
    Do you differentiate the type of task (since you use one board) by tags, card types, something else or nothing?