More threads by Tim Sweeney

Reaction score
I was catching up on my reading and found this interesting tip at the Whitespark blog concerning using the Google Display Network to advertise on Yelp. While I've used the "display network" before, I've never thought of using it to advertise on Yelp.

Curious if anyone has used this approach and the results. (Note, you'll have to scroll down to item 3 in the blog post.)

I was catching up on my reading and found this interesting tip at the Whitespark blog concerning using the Google Display Network to advertise on Yelp. While I've used the "display network" before, I've never thought of using it to advertise on Yelp.

Curious if anyone has used this approach and the results. (Note, you'll have to scroll down to item 3 in the blog post.)

GREAT share!

Anyone have any experience with this?

Yes, I have been targeting Yelp with some very limited click traffic over the past year via Google - however, the blog post is incorrect. These ads in his blog post are Search Partner ads, not display network ads. You can't really target these just to Yelp.

There are display network ads available on Yelp, they are just much rarer to get placed. They appear in individual listings that aren't claimed.

adwords display ads Yelp.jpg

adwords display ads Yelp.jpg

Interesting. With all the segmenting options Google gives you they won't let you pick particular sites? I don't do enough Advanced Adwords stuff to know if this is possible or not.

No, you can't target particular sites in the Google Search Network, nor can you see what search network partner is sending you traffic.

No, you can't target particular sites in the Google Search Network, nor can you see what search network partner is sending you traffic.
So if you're simply running display ads that just happen to show up on Yelp in addition to dozen's of other sites what do you mean by your"targeting" comment above?

You CAN target Google Display ads. You CANNOT target Google Search Partner ads.

The original article showed screen shots of Google ads on Yelp, and stated that they were Display ads that COULD be targeted to Yelp.

This was incorrect. The ad position in question is on many Yelp category listings and have been search partner ads only. I corrected this by posting that while Display campaign targeting was available on Yelp, it was on those rare unclaimed pages that also did not have an Yelp native advertising inventory to show.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom