Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Creating Local SEO Content (Avoiding Doorway Pages)

Hi.

I'd like to create additional local SEO content for my client's site and will avoid doorways pages, of course, but was curious whether creating new 100% original 1000 word local landing pages with a semantically similar term would qualify as a doorway page?

There are currently several hundred page one rankings for '[city] PLUMBER' pages.

So I was wondering about creating similar '[city] PLUMBING' pages with 100% original content and whether these would be seen as doorway pages.

=====
    Here is Google on doorway pages:
    https://support.google.com/webmaster..._topic=6001971

1. Having multiple domain names or pages targeted at specific regions or cities that funnel users to one page

- This would not be an issue because each page is a landing page with valuable, original content, hours of operation, schema and map,with clear calls to action.

2. Pages generated to funnel visitors into the actual usable or relevant portion of your site(s)

- This would not be an issue because each page would be usable with clear calls to action.

3. Substantially similar pages that are closer to search results than a clearly defined, browseable hierarchy

- I'm not completely certain whether this is going to be an issue, or not. I understand that it is substantially similar but not duplicate, though do not completely understand 'closer to search results than a clearly defined, browseable hierarchy'
    =====

Each current local page is a part of the LSI silo of the site as a whole. The local pages link to the service pages which, in turn, link to the home page.

My thoughts are to create something such as mentioned in the following article which refers to 'local content silos'.

http://searchengineland.com/local-se...inesses-224732

If you scroll down you see this:
    /locations/
    /locations/location-a/
    /locations/location-a/gallery/
    /locations/location-a/reviews/
    /locations/location-a/directions//locations/location-a/clients/
    /locations/location-a/news/
    /locations/location-a/news/article-1/
    /locations/location-a/news/article-2/
    /locations/location-a/social/

I have already created a couple hundred service pages such as 'drain repair [city]'. And the list is not unlimited. So this is one way I could add 100+ more pages possibly.

Any thoughts on this or how to create additional local content would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Ryan

2. GradeUs in threads
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Creating Local SEO Content (Avoiding Doorway Pages)

Ryan,

What is going to be unique about these pages? Is it essentially the same content, just reworded? There was a good article on this recently: https://moz.com/blog/competing-for-l...sical-premises

Joy Hawkins
    Owner of Sterling Sky
    Author of The Expert's Guide to Local SEO, a 270+ page training manual that is updated monthly and contains advanced tips and tactics for Local SEO that actually work and drive results.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Joy.

That's a helpful article, thank you.

So something to make the content on these new pages truly unique, other than original yet similar content, would be the best case scenario.

Perhaps if I made them unique to 'commercial plumbing' as there is search volume available for this keyword term. This way the focus is on plumbing for businesses in particular. Do you believe this would differentiate the content well enough?

=====
    From the article:

This means that you should have something genuinely useful that you can put on these pages. Some recommendations:

Proprietary data – e.g. what the most popular flowers are in this location.
    Local differentiation – e.g. are some of the products delivered to this location sourced locally?
    Genuine local expertise – could any employees or subcontractors in this area contribute?
    Reviews for this location
    Reassurance – e.g. if you think a user is looking for a local florist because of delivery concerns, say how long the flowers will be traveling for
    =====

I suppose I could test a couple of pages with 'commercial plumbing [city]' to see what happens. With Penguin 4.0 more granular at least there shouldn't be a concern about these new pages penalizing the entire site. Yet, they could dilute the strength of the others or perhaps confuse the SE's. hmm...

Any further thoughts?

Thank you,
    Ryan

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would avoid these types of pages unless you have unique info like case studies or testimonials (like a business you helped in that city and what you did for them). This article also gives some good ideas: https://t.co/xSRHX8JeRf

Joy Hawkins
    Owner of Sterling Sky
    Author of The Expert's Guide to Local SEO, a 270+ page training manual that is updated monthly and contains advanced tips and tactics for Local SEO that actually work and drive results.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. I appreciate it. Thanks, Joy.

Take care,
    Ryan

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

After reading this thread it sounds like these are doorway pages but you're trying really hard to convince yourself that they are not.

I think it's ok to have individual pages for "service in [city]" provided that it really makes sense for users to have these as separate pages. I don't think it's enough to just have unique wording on the page. So, the question is whether you can produce these pages in a way in which each page adds value on its own.

If you have 100 different pages for "commercial plumber in [city]" and they're all essentially the same page with slightly different wording, that's not a good thing. But, if you can make these pages so that they are all uniquely helpful for people who are searching for a plumber in their area it might work out. I think this would be hard though as I'm guessing that there is not much difference in what kind of content a searcher would expect to see if they were searching for a commercial plumber in Detroit as opposed to Atlanta. I could be wrong though - If there are significant differences in what plumbers can provide in different cities, then this might work.

But who knows...perhaps you could populate each page with a case study of a plumbing job in that area along with facts pertinent to the area. For example, you could have a section called, "Interesting facts about plumbing in [city]". In that section you could talk about how the city has the sewer system set up or how many gallons of water each household uses and things like that. But, if it sounds like that is an impossible thing to do for each city, then I'd say this is not going to work.

A concern with having all of these pages would be how it looks if you get a manual review. Again, it's not just enough to have the wording unique for each page so that an algorithm can't detect that they are almost duplicates of each other. If a human being can look at the pages and determine that they're essentially the same page with just the city information being different then I'd be concerned that you could get slapped with a thin content penalty.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Marie.

I appreciate your post.

I definitely don't consider 1000 word landing pages with original content to be doorways as they are unique, valuable and useful to the local prospect each on their own.

Though I think the search engines may because of the semantic overlap between plumber and plumbing.

Based on Google's input this point was somewhat unclear in regards to their definition of doorway pages:

3. Substantially similar pages that are closer to search results than a clearly defined, browseable hierarchy

Yet, we have written multiple sets of 23 local based pages for various specialized services each with similar but 100% unique content and have ranked on page one for perhaps 20/23 of them each time within two weeks making the thin content penalty or doorway pages possibility non-issues based on this experience.

Which is why I saw potential for doing so with this keyword term '[city] plumbing'. But it's more significantly related as a keyword focus than these specialized local services which is why I've asked for feedback and appreciate it.

Thank you,
    Ryan

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a good article which breaks down the local landing pages or geo-targeted pages:

Local SEO Landing Pages 2.0

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Noticed this on John Mueller's twitter feed today. It seems relevant.

https://twitter.com/JohnMu/status/806491013049184256

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Andrew's response literally made me LOL.

Best tweet of the week

https://twitter.com/localseoguide/st...77425316331520
    Joy Hawkins
    Owner of Sterling Sky