More threads by JoyHawkins

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I remember first hearing about beacons a year or 2 ago like it was going to be the next big marketing craze. This article points out some reasons why it's struggled to take off: https://martechtoday.com/beacons-dead-says-ceo-retail-analytics-firm-192799

What do you guys think? Do any of your clients use beacons?

I still hear a lot about it but I was concerned it may never take off in the first place. You have to have an opt in like everything in life and who would opt in to that? People treat their phone with more caution than they do their address or email.

I think the concept is interesting from both a marketer and consumer standpoint, but I agree that consumers just aren't there yet. So many variables are needed to fall in line - phone with bluetooth enabled, app download, opt in... it's a lot unless you're really aware of the beacon and understand what it's doing (which most don't).

Hopefully the technology will get simpler and the adoption rate will improve. We'll see what happens.

Over the past few months I've had several clients receive a Bluetooth beacon from Google as part of their "Project Beacon".

My last client actually was worried thinking it was some kind of "secret listening device" and thought it was a scam.

Now I have a basic understanding of what Google is trying to do here and understand (to a point) the technology involved and it's purpose. My question to members is... are you actually using this technology and what are you using it for specifically. I am finding it hard to find some good user case examples apart from perhaps pinging out messages to ask (hassle / panic) users if they want a Personal Injury lawyer as they walk past the office :cautious:.

Feedback appreciated....btw, the client who thought they were being secretly listened to is hopefully sending the unit to me so I can get a hands on with this device and as always I'll share my findings.

Thanks

okay, so I did a search for beacons, project beacon but it didn't find this thread, sorry. Just posted about Project Beacon on a new thread so obviously happy for you to merge if necessary. Thanks

I've had one client ask me about. The best use case I saw was prompting visitors to leave a review.

However, I think Google wants it for more data. As I believe Google has too much data as it is, I wouldn't set it up.

I imagine they're using it to make their wait time stuff more robust along with other metrics.

So this is interesting. I was chatting with Mike Blumenthal and he said he's noticed that businesses with beacons are more likely to have their customers prompted on mobile (via Google Maps App on Android) to leave a review. This would make sense since Google would better know where the person is physically located with the Beacon being there. Have you guys noticed this with clients at all?

I think I read what I posted above on Google's beacon support article or maybe the literature that came with the beacon. Makes sense they're doing it.

I've had a few clients get them mailed to them without asking. We set them up to see the effect and subjectively it does seem that customers receive more mobile notifications asking for a review. We already have a review acquisition process in place but we'll take all the boost we can get considering the importance.

I've had a few clients get them mailed to them without asking. We set them up to see the effect and subjectively it does seem that customers receive more mobile notifications asking for a review. We already have a review acquisition process in place but we'll take all the boost we can get considering the importance.

Interesting Mat, are the customers/clients notified at the actual location? From what I've read elsewhere some people almost see this as an intrusion of privacy (I think I have that right). Thoughts?

I have a client in the US that was randomly sent a beacon. They won't use it, but won't give it to anyone who will.
Go figure.
Wonder how many other businesses are doing the same thing.

I have had a few clients call me about getting a beacon, after calming them down (they do get nervous) they installed it and did get more prompts for reviews. I did not notice any other changes.

However, in the advertiser community, we do see quite a few review complaints that companies get reviews like "Never been here" or "Do not know this place". I think that is the drawback to beacons, unsolicited reviews from people passing by who are confused.
(Sidenote, Google will remove these)

Well that's interesting @BenFisher. Are you saying if a biz has a beacon and G can verify the review came as a result of the beacon, there's a chance it will be removed if the biz owner says the the review not legit?

@Margaret Ornsby well not saying, if it is a result of a beacon, just saying I have successfully had reviews removed that contained the text "I have not been here" or "Do not know this place". I think this is tied to the beacon, but not 100% sure.

Interesting Mat, are the customers/clients notified at the actual location? From what I've read elsewhere some people almost see this as an intrusion of privacy (I think I have that right). Thoughts?

My client or myself aren't notified that a customer has been asked to review by Google. Agreed it would be an invasion of privacy if we were notified of anything directly. It's just subjective comments my client hears from customers, his staff sees on their phones, and an uptick in Google reviews even though we're focusing our effort right now on other sites. So definitely nothing concrete but it seems to help.

What bothers me is Google is using the beacon system to collect even more data on people. They're now asking businesses to willingly give their own customers' data to them. I imagine if many customers knew what was going on when they stepped inside of a business they wouldn't appreciate the business setting up a beacon. I know I wouldn't.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom