Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow The 7 Citation Building Myths Plaguing Local SEO - Joy Hawkins

This post brought to you by Joy Hawkins

Previously, I wrote an article unveiling some of the most common myths I see in the Local SEO space. I thought Id do a follow-up that specifically talked about the myths pertaining to citations that I commonly hear from both small business owners and SEOs alike.
    The post The 7 Citation Building Myths Plaguing Local SEO appeared first on Google My Business (GMB) Expert | Local SEO Tips.

Read the rest at Joy Hawkins' Blog

Let us know what you think about this post!

Feel free to weigh in with comments or questions below.

Note: This post was automatically generated from Joy Hawkins' RSS feed.
    FEATURING: Local Search News imported from featured Local Search Blogs

Please visit the link above to read the full post.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: The 7 Citation Building Myths Plaguing Local SEO - Joy Hawkins

I generally agree with "Myth #3: NAP cleanup should involve fixing your listings on hundreds of sites." There's no point in wasting time on cleaning up sites where you can't make changes.

However, where I dissent just a little bit is that I believe if you can clean up your listings, you should do it. If that means your list reaches into the hundreds of sites (unlikely), then I would still do it. Chances are if you are able to clean up a listing on a site at all, it's a relatively painless process.

And why not get it out of the way if you can? While we can plausibly speculate that Google may ignore it, there really is no way to know for sure. And it ends up being one less thing to troubleshoot at the end of the day.

Also, if any of the listings you are trying to change aren't indexed, stop. If they're not indexed, either Google doesn't value them or doesn't know about them. So there's no reason to change them. Don't waste your time unless it's a bigger directory where Google may index your listing in the future. However, chances are if Google hasn't indexed it yet, it won't.

Also, Darren is right that many directories are dormant. If you don't get a reply back from them after 2-3 emails, just let it go. You can't get it changed and will just have to work with it. The damage it will do is more than likely negligible.

Only worry about listings that are indexed and are able to be changed. Beyond that, just let it go
    Tutelary Marketing, Owner
    Local Listing Ninja - Business Listing Service

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: The 7 Citation Building Myths Plaguing Local SEO - Joy Hawkins

Great post, Joy! Something I'll be referring my clients to. Thanks for clearing up the blurred lines of cancelling Yext vs. Moz Local- that's another common question that we get. We tend to direct people to use Moz but the new Yext dashboard for GMB may have us singing a different tune soon.
    Free Local Checklist
    51Blocks - "White Label" Google Places & Website Development/Hosting - Will Pay Good $$ for Wordpress website hosting referrals
    Wordpress Site Speed Problems? Site speed optimization is part of our hosting - 90's on Google PageSpeed Insights