Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Security risk: Autofill in browsers except Firefox

Here’s why you’ll probably want to turn off browser autofill
    Globalnews.ca
    January 18, 2017

It’s annoying to type your personal details — name, address, phone numbers, all the rest of it — every time you need to fill out on online form.

Browser makers realized this years ago, which is why your browser spares you the tedium, helpfully filling in the blanks when you type the first letter of your name, or the first digit of your address.

Finnish developer Viljami Kuosmanen demonstrated [last week] that in many (not all) browsers, if you start to fill in basic information like your name and email address, all your other autofill information becomes invisibly available to the site. That can include your name, home address, credit card details and workplace, not just the limited amount of information you thought you were giving away.

If you’ve autofilled a form in a browser other than Firefox, you can give it a try on this site, which Kuosmanen set up to demonstrate the problem. Global News successfully used Kuosmanen’s site on Chrome, extracting a reporter’s address after he had only put in his name and email.

Firefox doesn’t have the problem, but other browsers such as Chrome, Opera and Safari do.
    Test your browser HERE: if you're vulnerable, the test page will show you what information is revealed and also includes a link in your browser taking you to where you can turn autofill OFF.

Here’s how to turn off autofill:

• In Chrome: Settings/Show Advanced Settings/Passwords and Forms, and unclick Enable Autofill to fill out Web forms.
    • In Opera: Settings/Privacy & Security/Autofill and uncheck the box.
    • In Safari: Preferences/Autofill tab/ and uncheck the appropriate boxes.
    • In Firefox (though this shouldn’t be as necessary): Options/Privacy. In the Firefox will: menu, uncheck Remember search and form history.

2. GradeUs in thread
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Security risk: Autofill in browsers except Firefox

I've disabled that feature on all browsers and I use LastPass to manage passwords and autofill. Much safer that way. I recommend everyone take a look at a password manager like that. Saves the headache of remembering tough passwords, and replaces the need to write them down.
    My rarely updated website (I should fix that) - https://www.ericrohrback.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Want to talk? Book time with me here

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I've been using LastPass for years. It's available for Smart Phones now too.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Same here. I use LastPass on Chrome and on Chrome and Safari on my iphone.

I don't disable auto-fill in chrome on my laptop but I just never use it. Maybe I should.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Colling View Post
    Same here. I use LastPass on Chrome and on Chrome and Safari on my iphone.

I don't disable auto-fill in chrome on my laptop but I just never use it. Maybe I should.
    FWIW, I checked all the browsers on my own system. I use Chrome occasionally and it gave up a bunch of information, including a former address from about 8 years ago, my email address, my Best Buy login, and a credit card that no longer exists. Scary stuff. I think that's from when I had a borked Firefox installation and had to use Chrome briefly until I got it fixed.

I also checked Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, neither of which I really use except for testing sites. They showed nothing but that's probably because there was nothing there to divulge.