More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
WHERE Does this Leave Google+ Local?

There has just been a big re-organization at Google. Sources say it's the most significant management reorganization since Google co-founder Larry Page became chief exec in 2011.

I'm just trying to read all the news and try to figure out where this leaves Google+ Local???

Some of the articles mention Maps & Local Search but no one specifically mentions Google+ Local? Some make reference to the maps/commerce unit as being in disarray and having problems.

So just stopping my research to share some of the noteworthy articles I've read thus far.

Google Breaks Up Mapping And Commerce Unit, Sends Jeff Huber To Google X

Jeff Huber who formerly ran the combined commerce + local group is now becoming part of Sergey Brin’s “Google X” team. According to the Wall Street Journal:

The mapping unit will become part of the Google search team, led by Alan Eustace, and the commerce unit will be tucked into the advertising group, led by Susan Wojcicki.

The change may have been prompted by some tension in the combination of mapping and commerce, which includes Google Wallet. Google Maps is hugely successful, but some of Google’s newer commerce initiatives are struggling and perhaps need more focused attention than was possible under the previous structure.

Google Maps Boss Steps Down - Business Insider

He got a group called Local & Commerce. The products under his supervision would be Payments, Wallet, Offers, Shopping, Local Search, Maps & Earth and Travel.

The organization has been in disarray since. Many of the executives who reported to Huber have left the company, including Marissa Mayer and Stephanie Tilenius.

According to the senior executives we spoke to, Geo and Commerce was considered a particularly difficult group to manage for two reasons.

The first is that it is very large. With 2,500 people, it was the largest group at Google, not including Motorola Mobility. And that's just full-time Googlers. The "Geo" part of the organization – Local Search, Maps & Earth and Travel – has 1,100 full-timers and 6,000 contractors.

The second challenge with the job was that while the "Geo" side of it was, by 2011, already a mature business with lots of successful products, the "Commerce" part was very nascent.

Some Google sources we've spoken to in the past say that Huber was never given a clear directive on what the group was supposed to accomplish.

More change at Google as Maps-Commerce chief gets new role - Yahoo! News

Google will split its Maps/Geo and Commerce group into two separate units. Senior Vice President Jeff Huber, who has led the group since 2011, is moving to Google X, the company's experimental projects group known for developing self-driving cars and the Google Glass wearable computer.

The Maps/Geo group will be folded into Google's search division, formally called Knowledge
and led by Senior Vice President Alan Eustace, according to a person familiar with the matter.

A couple other news articles, but there are a ton more.

Google Breaks Up Mapping and Commerce Unit - WSJ.com

Google SVP Jeff Huber Steps Aside As The Company Divides Mapping And Commerce Units, Will Join Google X | TechCrunch

PLEASE SHARE if you find anything more specific regarding Google+ Local, but I assume it's still under Maps which is now under search?

Last edited:
WHERE Does this Leave Google+ Local?

There has just been a big re-organization at Google. Sources say it's the most significant management reorganization since Google co-founder Larry Page became chief exec in 2011.

I'm just trying to read all the news and try to figure out where this leaves Google+ Local???

Some of the articles mention Maps & Local Search but no one specifically mentions Google+ Local? Some make reference to the maps/commerce unit as being in disarray and having problems.

So just stopping my research to share some of the noteworthy articles I've read thus far.

A couple other news articles, but there are a ton more.

Google Breaks Up Mapping and Commerce Unit - WSJ.com

Google SVP Jeff Huber Steps Aside As The Company Divides Mapping And Commerce Units, Will Join Google X | TechCrunch[/FONT]

PLEASE SHARE if you find anything more specific regarding Google+ Local, but I assume it's under Maps which is now under search?

I'll see if I can get a statement from Google about what this means for Local.
I think it makes sense it would be with Maps as it includes Local Search and is tied directly with the Map. I don't think Local would be considered part of "Commerce." The only thought is that G+L might fall under whoever oversees G+. Maybe this means that going forward the G+L, MapMaker and the rest of Maps will all be on the same page. Maps going to Search strikes me as a good thing, particularly from a Spam fighting perspective. Hopefully Matt Cutts and his team will be more involved with Maps.

Yes, that's what I wondered was if G+L would maybe have been moved under G+.

But I think it's still under maps and agree it's good it's under search.

I've not checked this week. Anyone hear/read any more about the re-org?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom