More threads by Jes Berman Consulting

Reaction score
Hi there! I?m a freelance content editor who?s looking to break into the online content writing business. I recently managed to set up my own business site, along with a facebook page, and I?m trying to figure out what my next steps should be. So far most of my experience has been in academic editing and tutoring, along with some work writing articles for non-profit organizations, but I?m also very interested in doing work for private companies. I?d really appreciate any tips or hints anyone can provide.

Thanks!

-Jesse B.

Hey Jesse,

Make sure you have your own site set up that looks professional and has a way to contact you. Then, I would start blogging for yourself. Use that blog to apply for middle tier, reputable content websites as a contributor. Once you're accepted there, write frequently and often for them with your website and info in the author bio. This should drive some traffic to your site from people who read your articles, are impressed with them, ask themselves "who wrote this", find you through your bio, and contact you. As you flesh out your profile, it should be easy to then apply and get accepted at the bigger content websites, like entrepreneur.com, forbes, etc. Then you're on your way after that.

Going this route is the shortcut to quick success but you will be making next to nothing while you are building up your portfolio on your site and while just starting out on the middle tier reputable sites. But you will rise much quicker than looking for jobs on upwork or freelancer.com or whatever those sites are.

Also, write good, quality content. Remember, what you write is what you will apply with to the bigger sites. They want good, quality articles. Also, those type of articles get exponentially more likes, shares, and retweets, which those bigger companies want to see and you want to see as well as it gets more eyeballs to your name.

When I look for content writers I look for ones who write in depth pieces that answer ALL questions a reader might have on a topic. Or at least tackle one good question THOROUGHLY.

Good luck!

My main tip if you are going into business would be to read the E-Myth by Michael Gerber before you get started.

If you have experience as an editor, you should work with that, and on sales to grow your business. Get other people to write the content (i.e. Upwork freelancers) while you focus on sales. For sales you should look at Jeb Blount, Grant Cardone, Jill Konrath Paul Smith - Sell with a Story, or google best sales books or check out Audible and Amazon.

I think Ed Gandia will be your bible to start with: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast...reelance-writing-copywriting/id640055894?mt=2

Pitch yourself as a digital strategy consultant focusing on content creation.

Hi Joshua, thank you so much for replying to my post and offering me your advice. You sound very knowledgeable about this subject, and I?m certain your suggestions will help me get on the right path.

You mentioned in your response that I should look for ?middle tier, reputable content websites? and apply to them as a contributor. If you wouldn?t mind, I was wondering if there were any particular such websites you might recommend I apply to? I currently have a WordPress site up and running that a colleague helped me to set up, and I have been writing blog posts on writing and grammar that I?ve been linking to reddit postings. Was your advice referring to something like this, or were there other sites that you would recommend I focus on?

Again, thank you for all of your help.

-Jesse

jesberman.com

Hi Joshua, thank you so much for replying to my post and offering me your advice. You sound very knowledgeable about this subject, and I?m certain your suggestions will help me get on the right path.

You mentioned in your response that I should look for ?middle tier, reputable content websites? and apply to them as a contributor. If you wouldn?t mind, I was wondering if there were any particular such websites you might recommend I apply to? I currently have a WordPress site up and running that a colleague helped me to set up, and I have been writing blog posts on writing and grammar that I?ve been linking to reddit postings. Was your advice referring to something like this, or were there other sites that you would recommend I focus on?

Again, thank you for all of your help.

-Jesse

jesberman.com

It would depend on the content you want to write about. I know it's easy in the beginning to say "anything and everything that pays" but you should hone in on a topic that a) you're interested in and b) is in need of content. Tech, health, business, etc. all come to mind.

Do you have an idea on what topic you would like to write on generally?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom