More threads by James Watt

Reaction score
For anyone who hasn't see it yet, it looks like you can now upload videos on your profile. Looks like they're viewable at least in the mobile version of the knowledge panel, but I haven't played with it yet.

The help document explains the feature is currently only available to Android users. Google wrote, ?To add videos, you must use an Android device. To remove videos, you must use an Android device or a computer.?

You can add videos from three different areas:

• Add a video from a place?s page.
  • Add videos from ?Your contributions.?
  • Add video using Google Photos or your Gallery app.

Read the rest.

Anyone seen this in the wild yet? Or tried uploading a video yourself?

Haven't seen or tried it yet. But I will be curious to hear from those that have.

Hi, I think this is a great thing and I hope to take advantage of this.

However:

1) for that to happen they need to allow business owners to do this through GMB, and not just local guides. If I were to record a video and upload it under my local guide profile that would be a conflict of interest with my Google Trusted Photographer profile.

2) I dislike that they only allow vertical videos, but I can understand the rationale.

3) They get lost in the mix with the photos at the moment. They do not yet have a heading like they do with Photos and 360 Photos. There were lots of complaints when they got rid of See Inside for virtual tours, so this is just another example that even the brains at GHQ can't figure out a UI/UX to best highlight different forms of media.

There is a long thread and more details and examples here: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/...-share-video-on-Google-Maps/ba-p/429010#M6327

Thanks for the local guide/photographer's perspective Adam. I agree, after seeing at least one example in the real world, it looks like organization wasn't thought out as well as it could have been. I guess we'll see what Google decides to do with it. It's a good idea at least, even if this implementation isn't the end result.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom