More threads by bhartzer

Reaction score
So, I added a new local business about a week ago using the "Add a place" feature on the Google Maps app. I added it because a friend of mine on Facebook shared it. Their friend just opened up a new hair salon. The hair salon has a Facebook page (which they shared) , but wasn't listed on Google Maps.

Being the Google Local Guide that i am, I wanted the 'points', so I added the location, adding the name of the business, the address (which is about 10 miles from my house), and the phone number.

Today, when I google my business name (Bill Hartzer), this other newly added business shows up, as if it's located close to (or within 100 feet) of my business address (my house).

I went in and changed/moved the map marker to 10 miles away (where it should be), at the business address.

Instead of putting the map marker where it should be, though, Google put the map marker at MY location, where I physically was located when I added that local business (when I suggested it).

There's no other possible way, that I can conclude, that Google has associated my location with this business that I added. Google is clearly using the location of the person who added the business as the map marker, and not the address of the business that's added.

Now, I just hope no one shows up at my location to get a haircut or a perm!

I went in and changed/moved the map marker to 10 miles away (where it should be), at the business address.

Instead of putting the map marker where it should be, though, Google put the map marker at MY location, where I physically was located when I added that local business (when I suggested it).

There's no other possible way, that I can conclude, that Google has associated my location with this business that I added. Google is clearly using the location of the person who added the business as the map marker, and not the address of the business that's added.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is just a fluke of if it happens to others? If so, it's a big problem since a lot of guides aren't like you. They don't understand or care about how things work, they are just trying to get points from setting up new listings and may not even notice if the pin was incorrectly located. PLUS often a Dentist or whatever will work on setting up their listing from home over the weekend and again may not even notice at 1st that Google is sending customers to the wrong location.

Any of you have a random new business in your town you could set up a listing for this way and see if it happens to you as well? I'm happy to report it to Google if I can get 3 others that have the same experience, proving it's not just a one-off fluke.

Thanks Linda, it would be interesting to see if it's just me or is happening to others. Of course I could find a few other businesses in my area that aren't listed in maps and set them up.

If you search my name, Bill Hartzer, you should probably see my listing, along with the map. There's another business also at my location, even though their listing has NEVER had my address.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom