Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Needing some help identifying this pbn before I report to Google need confirmatio

Here is last May's keynote from Google's CEO on the topic. As exciting as it is, I honestly don't think that keynote does justice to where they're really at, but it's a good intro at least from a layperson perspective.

2. Local Marketing Summit banner in thread
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Needing some help identifying this pbn before I report to Google need confirmatio

Sorry I'm late to the party oceanmedianow, but I see from your post in May that you were still trying to take on this PBN?

I looked at a couple of the sites in the network. I don't think the "paid advertising" links are a problem. Sponsoring local organizations is a valid way to get relevant links.

Also, the 2 sites I looked at have directory listings, where the client is listed. While the top listing is properly identified as "sponsored", they also have a "regular" listing with a link to their site. I'm guessing that all the other sites in this network are similar, so they end up with enough "natural" links in addition to the paid advertising.

Finally, the sites I looked at have a good amount of useful content, from what I can tell. Very localized info. I don't know how up to date it is, and the websites seem to be running super slow when I checked, so I'm guessing this is a fairly old setup. But those sites still seem to have decent juice.

A good test of this network would be to see if their directory listings ONLY included their paid clients, in which case it would definitely be shady. I didn't look into it that far.

I'm not saying Google would or would not approve of what they're doing, but they have created, what appears to my quick look, a bunch of sites that have relevant, local content that could benefit visitors to those particular places. Other than the fact that all the "guides" are linked to one another, they don't look especially spammy.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wang View Post
    Sorry I'm late to the party oceanmedianow, but I see from your post in May that you were still trying to take on this PBN?

I looked at a couple of the sites in the network. I don't think the "paid advertising" links are a problem. Sponsoring local organizations is a valid way to get relevant links.

Also, the 2 sites I looked at have directory listings, where the client is listed. While the top listing is properly identified as "sponsored", they also have a "regular" listing with a link to their site. I'm guessing that all the other sites in this network are similar, so they end up with enough "natural" links in addition to the paid advertising.

Finally, the sites I looked at have a good amount of useful content, from what I can tell. Very localized info. I don't know how up to date it is, and the websites seem to be running super slow when I checked, so I'm guessing this is a fairly old setup. But those sites still seem to have decent juice.

A good test of this network would be to see if their directory listings ONLY included their paid clients, in which case it would definitely be shady. I didn't look into it that far.

I'm not saying Google would or would not approve of what they're doing, but they have created, what appears to my quick look, a bunch of sites that have relevant, local content that could benefit visitors to those particular places. Other than the fact that all the "guides" are linked to one another, they don't look especially spammy.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    the listings are only for their clients I tried to get a submission and it was denied unless I paid

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think James posted the link to report it to Google, have you done that?

My understanding is that you'll need to be very specific about what rule they have violated. State the rule(s) and show clear evidence, photos/screenshots, etc. If you do a little research there are probably folks out there that could give more specifics on how to effectively report them.

Just curious, how much was this pbn charging?