Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Member Since
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    41
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Page title displaying instead of Business name

    Hi all. New to the forum here. Been a long time follower but first post. Hope to get actively involved in this great community.

    With my first post I bring my first question. We have a auto repair shop that isnt ranking too well.

    When we do a places search for "auto repair city" they come up at the top of the 3rd page. The page title is displayed, not the business name.

    And in the page title we aren't targeting "auto repair city" we are targeting "auto repair city2", with city 2 being the larger metro area. So I assume this has to be hurting rankings??

    Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Linda Buquet; 03-18-2013 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Moved from General to help since about a specific client case

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17,019
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    41

    Re: Page title displaying instead of Business name

    Hey Todd, welcome and thanks for making your 1st post. That means you are now one of us!

    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    With my first post I bring my first question. We have a auto repair shop that isnt ranking too well.

    When we do a places search for "auto repair city" they come up at the top of the 3rd page. The page title is displayed, not the business name.

    And in the page title we aren't targeting "auto repair city" we are targeting "auto repair city2", with city 2 being the larger metro area. So I assume this has to be hurting rankings??
    It's so hard to answer Q without seeing the example because there are variances for a variety and what I "think" you are describing can be different than what you
    "think' you are describing.

    But in a nutshell if they are located in City 1 they likely won't rank well in City 2 but it depends on competition.

    "And in the page title we aren't targeting "auto repair city" we are targeting "auto repair city2"

    Google changes title tag all the time now and displays whatever SHE thinks is most relevant.

    If you are searching for "auto repair city 1" then G may change the title tag from "auto repair city2" to "auto repair city1" to be more relevant. Because you searched for city 1 and they are located in city 1.

    However they are ranking low for city 1 because you are optimized for city 2. And they aren't going to rank in city 2 - the big metro - since they aren't located there, so you may as well optimize for city 1 and get higher for those searches right in their own back yard.

    At least that's my best guess, based on description, working in the dark, not being able to see it.
    Is Our Content HELPFUL? Please pay the community back by sharing!

    LocalSearchForumLinda Buquet .:. Google Local Specialist

    Consulting, Troubleshooting & White Label Services for SEOs & Agencies

    Don't Miss Important News & Tips! SUBSCRIBE to Daily Email Digest Here

    Are you a PRO? Join the "Local Search Pros" G+ Community!

    Note: Due to mulitple RSI injuries, pardon short replies. Typos? Blame it on "Dragon". ;-)

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    41
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Page title displaying instead of Business name

    thanks for the fast reply!

    The page title of the website is targeting the larger metro city, and we are ranking organically for that.

    however the business is located in a smaller non metro city within. You could mail to this business using either city and it will arrive. the smaller city is where they are rankng on page 3 for, and where the listing is displaying the larger metro city in the page title of the google plus listing.

    They should be ranking well for this smaller area but I think having the larger metro city in the page title may be messing it up.

    I hope that clears it up a little bit.

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia (from Cincinnati, Ohio)
    Posts
    23
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Page title displaying instead of Business name

    Todd,


    Like Linda said, shooting in the dark without seeing the situation, but will try anyway.


    The title replacement for the business name in the maps would only occur for a couple of reasons. Either a) it's a mistake for which you can report a problem and have it manually reviewed or b) the algo distrusts the business name and doesn't have enough reliable data to corroborate that yes, that is in fact the business's name. Still, even with "b" as the case, you might be able to get the business name changed through the report a problem channel.


    The fact the business is ranking very well organically and not well for the smaller city in the maps indicates there might be quite a bit of NAP/data confusion for the business name and the next best thing the algo has is the page title. If that is the case, a dual approach of fixing the incorrect data across the web and reporting the issue to G might fix it.
    Workin' the Local SEO grind every day! Firegang Dental Marketing
    Let's connect on Google Plus! (click here)

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17,019
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    41

    Re: Page title displaying instead of Business name

    Quote Originally Posted by JacobPuhl View Post
    The title replacement for the business name in the maps would only occur for a couple of reasons. Either a) it's a mistake for which you can report a problem and have it manually reviewed or b) the algo distrusts the business name and doesn't have enough reliable data to corroborate that yes, that is in fact the business's name. Still, even with "b" as the case, you might be able to get the business name changed through the report a problem channel.
    Hi Jacob, I believe he meant the organic title tag in the SERPs not the name on the G+ Local page. So report a problem won't work. It's an organic search issue.

    (Again the problem of not seeing the example. Either you or I could have interpreted what was described wrong.)
    Is Our Content HELPFUL? Please pay the community back by sharing!

    LocalSearchForumLinda Buquet .:. Google Local Specialist

    Consulting, Troubleshooting & White Label Services for SEOs & Agencies

    Don't Miss Important News & Tips! SUBSCRIBE to Daily Email Digest Here

    Are you a PRO? Join the "Local Search Pros" G+ Community!

    Note: Due to mulitple RSI injuries, pardon short replies. Typos? Blame it on "Dragon". ;-)

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia (from Cincinnati, Ohio)
    Posts
    23
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Page title displaying instead of Business name

    Hmm not sure.

    We need:
    Link to the google+local page
    Screenshot of the organic listing or large city
    Screenshot of page 3 result



    Workin' the Local SEO grind every day! Firegang Dental Marketing
    Let's connect on Google Plus! (click here)

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    41
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Page title displaying instead of Business name

    Sorry for the delay...Jake is right in that the page title for the google plus listing is showing up wrong. there are a bunch of citations built out for the business that are accurate. I just took this business on so hoping to help them out.

    I will try and change it through the report a problem.

    https://plus.google.com/105304837474055669776/?hl=en




    ---------- Post Merged at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:15 AM ----------

    i uploaded the wrong pic. i tried uploading again but having some problems with it.

    i uploaded the correct one as an attachment

    And Jake. We met one time in the past. I worked at Berry for very brief period. Glad to see you branched out and starting something of your own. Best wishes to you
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    341
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Page title displaying instead of Business name

    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Sorry for the delay...Jake is right in that the page title for the google plus listing is showing up wrong. there are a bunch of citations built out for the business that are accurate. I just took this business on so hoping to help them out.

    I will try and change it through the report a problem.

    https://plus.google.com/105304837474055669776/?hl=en




    ---------- Post Merged at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:15 AM ----------

    i uploaded the wrong pic. i tried uploading again but having some problems with it.

    i uploaded the correct one as an attachment

    And Jake. We met one time in the past. I worked at Berry for very brief period. Glad to see you branched out and starting something of your own. Best wishes to you
    A big problem is that the business name isn't on the Title of the website. Using opinions like "honest" aren't going to be helpful in saying what the website is for.

    The corporate name is "Seasonall Automotive Inc"
    The common/contact name on the website is "Seasonall Automotive"
    The name on the sign is "Seasonall Automotive Service Center"

    I'm not sure why "Seasonall Automotive Center" is being used on the Google+ Local page. You should be using the legal name, the shortened legal name or the one on the sign. I would suggest using "Seasonall Automotive" as the name since it is the shortened corporate name. But the name being used should be the one people and the business use to describe it. I doubt most people would call the place "Seasonall Automotive Center"

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17,019
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    41

    Re: Page title displaying instead of Business name

    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    When we do a places search for "auto repair city" they come up at the top of the 3rd page. The page title is displayed, not the business name.
    Sorry, could have fooled me. With subject "Page title displaying instead of Business name" combined with sentence above, that totally sounded to me like you were saying Google was changing the title tag in the search results not name on G+L.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sawyer View Post
    The corporate name is "Seasonall Automotive Inc"
    The common/contact name on the website is "Seasonall Automotive"
    The name on the sign is "Seasonall Automotive Service Center"

    "Seasonall Automotive Center"

    I'm not sure why "Seasonall Automotive Center" is being used on the Google+ Local page."
    "Seasonall Automotive Center" is in footer, on BOTH location pages and on the contact us page, which I would think Google sees as the most important location page.

    "Seasonall Automotive Inc" "(585) 424-1052" ZERO Citations
    "Seasonall Automotive Service Center" "(585) 424-1052" 4 citations
    "Seasonall Automotive Center" "(585) 424-1052" 178,000 citations

    178,000 citations is a TON so looks to me like "Seasonall Automotive Center" is the name they represent themselves as.

    So I'm curious, since that looks to me like the correct name, Jake when you say the name is wrong, how is the name listed in dash? Because it looks like all the citations match that one.

    Ahhh... back in Nov 2011 a bot deleted "Henrietta Seasonall Automotive Center" which looks to me like it may be a GEO stuffed version of the name. Is that what's in dash?
    Is Our Content HELPFUL? Please pay the community back by sharing!

    LocalSearchForumLinda Buquet .:. Google Local Specialist

    Consulting, Troubleshooting & White Label Services for SEOs & Agencies

    Don't Miss Important News & Tips! SUBSCRIBE to Daily Email Digest Here

    Are you a PRO? Join the "Local Search Pros" G+ Community!

    Note: Due to mulitple RSI injuries, pardon short replies. Typos? Blame it on "Dragon". ;-)

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    41
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Page title displaying instead of Business name

    Thanks for all the replies!

    The name they are targeting is "Seasonall Automotive Center"

    We just took on this account so anything that was done wasn't by me. Going to be cleaning up a bit but wanted to start with some input on the google + listing.

    Thanks everyone

Similar Threads

  1. Location in page title
    By Gio Greenard in forum Local SEO & Ranking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM
  2. My Client's Google+ Page Has A Competitor Name as Title!
    By shondarogers in forum Help & Support for Google Local
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •