More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi guys, wanted to share a new post from our G+ Local Search Pros group.

photo.png
Andy Simpson:

Fake Location on Desktop

This isn't new but some of you may not be aware of this simple Chrome extension for faking your location within Chrome .i.e. tricking Google. Yes, I know there are some great tools to fake your location to city level (+BrightLocal) BUT they don't fake your location to what I suppose you could call street level location.

The extension allows you to see what your actual users might be seeing from one side of town compared to the other side of town. I use it to replicate what...

Manual Geolocation
Override HTML5 GeoLocation API and return an arbitrary location.

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

View post

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks for sharing Andy!

Andy shares another tool too to view locations on mobile.

Has anyone else tried either of these? Or do you use something else our members may not know about?

Re: Emmulate Location to Street Level to Check Google Local Rankings - Chrome Extensi

Just tried this out... and it's pretty cool.
I was able to see when Google stops showing a local map for certain search queries, for example. For one keyword I was looking at just now, they stop showing a map in the SERPs about 10 miles away from the local business. This is ultra-frustrating, especially in Texas, where from one town to another it will be 10-15 miles. We typically drive a large distance just to go shopping in another town because that service or product isn't available in one town.

Re: Emmulate Location to Street Level to Check Google Local Rankings - Chrome Extensi

Thanks for sharing Linda, I actually use the mobile app more for quick tests but this extension seems to do the trick for desktops.

This all started from seeing the increase in "near me" queries in my GSC data and I wanted to find a quick way of testing what our users were seeing.

Thanks again and happy holidays!👍

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom