More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Eric Shanfelt from Local Marketing Institute created a short, very concise and helpful video that will show you how to set up segments in Google Analytics so that you can track & view visitors coming from a specific local area only, such as the area your business serves.

See Local Web Visitors with Google Analytics Segments

Google Analytics by default shows traffic to your website from all over the world. As a local business, what if you want to look at only the traffic to your website from the local region that you serve? ...Everywhere we look now ? interests, geographic, where people come from, site content ? it?s all filtered just for visitors to Florida.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/alUWq1v5ZPg" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" width="560" height="315"></iframe>​

What do you think? Learn anything new?

If you benefited from that info and want more... Head over to Local Marketing Institute to get instant access to Eric's FREE 30-Minute Digital Local Marketing Strategy Video.

Great info, thanks Eric!

hello,
thank you for the video and explanations,

is there a way to emphasize the local traffic in a given area around a town, let's say 100km around a specific town ?
for the moment, i listed in a segment all the towns i could but it's not 100% correct, as i cannot add all the towns in this area so my figures may be wrong.

thx for reading,
audrey

Welcome Audrey and thanks for joining to ask about this. I was actually curious about the same thing and wondered how much you could drill down beyond the state level.

I'll ask Eric and see if he can provide a little more info.

Hi Audrey. Unfortunately, it's not as granular as local targeting Google Adwords or Facebook Ads. There is no way to do a geographic radius. You can, however, add multiple cities to a Google Analytics Segment. Check out the attached screenshot. When creating a segment, go to the Advanced > Conditions section of the segment builder, then add multiple cities as "OR" statements.

Hopefully that helps a bit. :)

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 2.22.56 PM.jpg

Thanks Eric! That's good to know and would do the trick for most small companies.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom