Local Marketing Summit banner  below header new
Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Are you using GSC for your local data? Tracking your utm's & "Near Me" Queries

I've been using this trick for a while on client accounts, and the benefits go deeper than just GSC...

Set a filter in GA for a source matching what you're tagging the URLs with. You will find out what pages people have visited after hitting the site - not just the landing page. You also will be able to filter down to know exactly what city they're coming from.

Hey service area businesses... you can stop guessing where people are finding your GMB page As long as you have goals set up correctly, you can also tell what cities have the best conversion rates after visiting the site from GMB.

There is a crazy amount of data out there after implementing this.
    My rarely updated website (I should fix that) - https://www.ericrohrback.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Want to talk? Book time with me here

2. Local Marketing Summit banner in thread
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Are you using GSC for your local data? Tracking your utm's & "Near Me" Queries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rohrback View Post
    I've been using this trick for a while on client accounts, and the benefits go deeper than just GSC...

Set a filter in GA for a source matching what you're tagging the URLs with. You will find out what pages people have visited after hitting the site - not just the landing page. You also will be able to filter down to know exactly what city they're coming from.

Hey service area businesses... you can stop guessing where people are finding your GMB page As long as you have goals set up correctly, you can also tell what cities have the best conversion rates after visiting the site from GMB.

There is a crazy amount of data out there after implementing this.
    Hey Eric,

I'm not a pro in GA.

How are you seeing the city?

Edit: SOB, found cities dimension in GA. Never knew. Probably should take a class...
    Tutelary Marketing, Owner
    Local Listing Ninja - Business Listing Service
    Local Listing Ninja Reviews - Check Out Our 100+ 5 Star Reviews!

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Right on Joshua!

Use the Audience > Geo > Locations section of GA then drill down into "City"

When you do this make sure you have the custom segment enabled... here's an example of what I do (I use "GMB" in the URLs)

Name:  gmb source only - segment.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  22.0 KB

This will help you stop guessing where your local customers might be coming from. This is especially valuable for consultants who may not have 100% transparency into client sales data.

The more data that I collect, the more I'll share. Basically with this segment you can really tear into demo/interest and user behavior data through the site. I've also been able to back out how many form conversions GMB is contributing to client sites. Pair that with tracked phone calls, and I can absolutely prove value in the local work.
    My rarely updated website (I should fix that) - https://www.ericrohrback.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Want to talk? Book time with me here

5. Likes Linda Buquet liked this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Going along with this discussion, here is an article on getting GMB Data into Data Studio. Found via Joys Local Search Tips from Sterling Sky Inc. email newsletter. Enjoy