Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Maps Help Needed - Ready to hire the right Google pro!

After a quick look over, I think it's because you are slightly south of the Sarasota area. I have a customer that is a service business like you, they are hitting all of the best practices and are well above the competition in the 5 meaningful metrics but cannot get into the three pack. I concluded after weeks of research; it was because of their physical address.

Google heavily weighs addresses inside city limits.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree with this.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you see the video where I zoom in locally on my area, redo the search and I am still invisible? Something is keeping me from appearing in Maps. Companies with no web presence are appearing in my local area and I am invisible.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Michael,

I remember you

I watched the video and wanted to add a few comments.

In the beginning of the video you looked in the dashboard and mentioned your organic impressions were much higher than your maps impressions. I just wanted to clarify that the "Listing on Search" is not your organic traffic. This is still traffic that's going to your GMB listing but it's happening on Google.com. The stuff under Maps is people searching on Maps.Google.com or on the Google Maps app. For more on that, read this article.

Your organic traffic isn't going to show up in Google My Business at all. You can see it in Search Console but the only way to separate GMB traffic from organic traffic is to use UTM perimeters in GMB. More on how to do that here.

Regarding why your ranking is low, I would still say that the reason why you don't rank well for "sarasota" terms is because your address is not in Sarasota (it's in Gulf Coast Estates like you clarified in the video). You can confirm this because you rank fine if you just search "home inspector" from your area as you can see here. It's not "home inspector" that you aren't relevant to - it's Sarasota.

I personally have not found a way to overcome this since the Possum update. Ranking locally (in the 3-pack) for terms that contain the name of a city you don't have a location in is almost impossible if you have a lot of competition.
    Joy Hawkins
    Owner of Sterling Sky
    Author of The Expert's Guide to Local SEO, a 270+ page training manual that is updated monthly and contains advanced tips and tactics for Local SEO that actually work and drive results.

5. Likes Colan Nielsen liked this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, sorry I did not see this sooner.. I may have saved you some time/money. I just haven't been around much but happened across this now while looking for something else.

Anyways, looks like you've made some progress, but I'm fairly certain you have a -5 penalty. I don't believe your problem has to do with the Gulf Estates thing, that part is more about being within the map view of the 3 pack and if not you just have to rank much harder to get the map view to adjust.

So the penalty, here's why I think that. You're at #6 now. If you adjust the map view slightly north, just enough to get it to refresh you pop up at #1 - even though that is moving north and away from your location.

Some other notes just from a quick look:

You're ranking #3 for 'sarasota home inspector' and 'home inspector sarasota', but with location set to sarasota and searching 'home inspector' you're at #16. This points to some possible overo ptimization, likely off site.

You don't have a 6,7, or 8 SERP for your brand even if you type in the domain.com

Quick search results yield some typical spammy SEO tactics/properties.

Hiding the address as a service area biz then making it visible, back and forth can throw flags too.

You also mentioned "several SEO professionals" - that's often a common thing with Google detecting penalties and things like PBN links.

PBN links are the most common correlation I've seen with these penalties, but no 1 thing causes a penalty. There are very many factors that Google uses to detect spam tactics, and it's harder to get out of one than get in one. (I'm not saying start disavowing links, that could make things worse).

Not all is lost, people have recovered. There is a lot of this that can be reverse engineered to figure out but it's not any one quick and easy fix - unless you just get lucky and happen to fix enough of the right things.

Feel free to get in touch and I'll see if I can help more or point you in the right direction of where to start.

7. Thanks Linda Buquet thanked this post
    Likes Linda Buquet liked this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Broland, since I started the business four years ago my organic rankings have steadily increased. I've gotten into the top 5 for most keyword searches. At the same time my Maps has remained flat. Once a month or so I'll get a spike where my Maps presence will go up to a desired spot and then drop back down.