More threads by Sarah FBM

Reaction score
Morning all!

I've been having an issue lately, I searched around to see if anyone had posted about this recently but did not see anything so apologies if it has been covered.

On multiple occasions in the past few months (!) I've been having an issue requesting access to a verified GMB listing. I will find it and even copy the name exactly as it appears in the verified listing, and it will come up for me to select it, but instead of going to the normal "This is already verified by whomever" screen with the request access button, it goes through the process of filling out all of the information then wants to verify with a postcard.

The first couple of times, I thought maybe this was a new process since they've changed a lot recently, but whenever those new listings got verified, of course they were immediately suspended as a duplicate.

Further, it will then show the "request access" button but when I click it, nothing happens. It briefly flashes on the map screen for a second then just reloads the dashboard.

I am currently in a 2 week long battle with someone at Google regarding a specific instance of this, but thought it would be nice to see if anyone else has had this issue and found resolution to it.

Thanks!

This is the normal process for SAB's. But it seems like it's breaking down when you get to the "request access" stage of the process. That part sounds like a bug. I will ask Google about that for you.

Is this the process you are following? And can you confirm that this is for an SAB?

Request ownership of a business listing - Google My Business Help

Service-area business listings
To request ownership of a service-area business from the current listing owner:

Go to business.google.com/add
Enter your business information.
Click Continue.
Complete the verification process. Verification by postcard takes a few days.
Once you've verified your listing, sign in to Google My Business.
You'll see an "Owner conflict" dialog indicating that the location is a duplicate.
Click Request access. The current listing owner will receive an email asking them to get in touch with you, and you’ll receive a confirmation email.

Yes, I am going through the process noted. And this does not happen every time. I do not do anything differently.

Most of them are SABs but I'd have to look at each individual one to make sure.

I've had this issue. It seems like if it's an SAB with a hidden address you have to call into GMB support and they can help you with it. Since it's been this way for awhile, I've stopped trying to request it through the normal means since it seems to be broken.

Did they get it fixed Colan?

I've had this issue. It seems like if it's an SAB with a hidden address you have to call into GMB support and they can help you with it. Since it's been this way for awhile, I've stopped trying to request it through the normal means since it seems to be broken.

Did they get it fixed Colan?
Good question...not sure. I haven't attempted the process myself in a long time.

Are either of you still seeing the issue?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have a section about this in my guide so I'll copy and paste the instructions from there. Let me know if it works.

1. First, get the CID Number for the listing you want to claim
  2. Insert it into this URL (replace the 9s): https://business.google.com/add/confirm/c/99999999
  3. This might take you to a troubleshooter form. If so, make sure you select that the account is currently managed by someone else and that you are unable to contact the user.

Hey Joy,

Tried your method with this listing:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Z...38c0b4973de15329!8m2!3d38.336085!4d-85.463371

When I replaced the link you have with the CID it just took me through the normal means of adding a listing, asking me where I'm located, etc.

Any idea if there's a new process?

Also, I'm just looking for the email of the person who claimed it; the first 2 letter "hint" that google gives you. Any trick to find that for SAB's?

Hey Joshua,

I think it stopped working about a month ago (another thing I need to update). I'll ask Google if there is a way to see the hint but it doesn't look like there is.

Hey Joshua,

I think it stopped working about a month ago (another thing I need to update). I'll ask Google if there is a way to see the hint but it doesn't look like there is.

No worries.

What should we do from here? Twitter support or phone support?

I opened a discussion with them about it and will post back here when they respond. You can definitely get in touch them as well. I recommend chat - the link to it is in the contacting Google section of my guide.

I opened a discussion with them about it and will post back here when they respond. You can definitely get in touch them as well. I recommend chat - the link to it is in the contacting Google section of my guide.

Roger that!

I haven't heard back yet. They're a little slow due to being out at a LocalU event this week but I pinged them again.

I heard back but it wasn't really helpful. Basically the answer was no, there isn't a way to trigger this. I'll let you know if I find another way.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom