More threads by djbaxter

djbaxter

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
The new Gutenberg editor is coming soon to WordPress.

Some welcome this change. Some disparage it. Whichever camp you fall into, if you manage client sites you may want to disable it temporarily (or permanently) for client sites, either site-wide or for certain types of posts.

The good news is you can now easily do that.

How to Disable Gutenberg: Complete Guide
by Jeff Starr, DigWP.com
April 18th, 2018

Gutenberg soon will be added to the WordPress core. This is great news for some, not so great for others. With 99.9999% (estimate) of all WordPress sites currently setup to work without Gutenberg, the massive changes barreling down the pike are going to affect literally millions of websites. And as swell as the whole “Gutenberg” experience may seem, the simple truth is that a vast majority of site owners will not be prepared when it finally hits. Nor will many small business have time or budget to test and update client sites to accommodate ol’ Gut’.

If that sounds like your situation, you basically have two options:

1. Buck up and fork out your time and money to test and update all existing client sites for Gutenberg.
  2. OR, simply disable Gutenberg until you are ready for it.

The easiest way to disable Gutenberg is to install my free plugin, Disable Gutenberg. It is a simple plugin focused on one thing: disabling Gutenberg and restoring the default classic WP Editor screen. Just enable the plugin, choose your options and done. Options include:

• Disable Gutenberg completely (all post types)
  • Disable Gutenberg only on specific post types
  • Disable Gutenberg for specific user roles

So it’s flexible yet simple, and super easy to use. Check out the documentation and homepage for more details.

More options/Read more…

I will be testing both the Disable Gutenberg plugin and a second one, Gutenberg Manager, and will report back on them later.

Thank you for your help on this. I think there is a plugin by WordPress itself to keep the classic editor. Not sure if its one of the two your testing. (I couldn't find it. I'll report back if I find it again.)

I look forward to hearing back from you.

All of my clients are in WordPress. Need I say, less than thrilled with WordPress right now? Luckily the theme I use most, GeneratePress, is actively working with WordPress. The theme has sections, which I love. They are working on making the migration of these sections easy. We shall see.
:eek:

Still waiting for a Gutenberg version of Wordpress to be released so I can test those plugins.

Gutenberg and Classic Editor Plugins Pass 200,000 Active Installations, WordPress 4.9.9 Planning Underway

As you can see, Gutenburg testers are not very happy with the new editor:

Gutenberg-reviews.jpg

Gutenberg-reviews.jpg

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom