GradeUs banner  below header new
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Google Duplex - Local SEO Guide

This post brought to you by Local SEO Guide

At college, after getting demolished in squash against, Mike, a hyper-competitive pre-med, he asked me what I planned to do for a career. I told him I wanted to get into television. He sneeringly countered how he was going to become a surgeon and extend his patients’ lives by many years. The implication being I was wasting my life with something as trivial as TV. “That’s awesome Mike,” I responded enthusiastically, “You know what your patients are going to do with all that extra time on Earth you so generously bestowed them? Watch fucking TV.”
    Google Duplex is rightly the talk of the tech town at the moment. It’s pretty amazing.

Sundar Pinchai closed his talk on Duplex with the following (emphasis mine):

“A common theme across all this is we are working hard to give users back time. We’ve always been obsessed about that at Google. Search is obsessed about getting users to answers quickly and giving them what they want.”

We all want more time to do the things we really want to do, but as I watched that video in bed on my phone shortly after I woke up yesterday morning, I couldn’t help but think that all most of us really want to do is the Internet equivalent of watch fucking TV.
    The Jerky Boys are going to have a field day with this technology.

The post Google Duplex appeared first on Local SEO Guide.

Read the rest at Local SEO Guide

Let us know what you think about this post!

Feel free to weigh in with comments or questions below.

Note: This post was automatically generated from the Local SEO Guide RSS feed.
    FEATURING: Local Search News imported from featured Local Search Blogs

Please visit the link above to read the full post.

2. GradeUs in thread
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Google Duplex - Local SEO Guide

I watched the conference recording and it's both incredibly interesting and scary. We're edging closer and closer to Terminator :P

Cyberdyne Systems is really Google.... and Skynet? That's the offspring of Duplex
    My rarely updated website (I should fix that) - https://www.ericrohrback.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Want to talk? Book time with me here

4. Likes Linda Buquet, MeganR liked this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I watched the video too. You know that I found the Twitter chatter about the Google Duplex video interesting. Several people seem to be skeptical about the calls featured in the presentation. A lot of "if they're not pulling our leg" or "if this is real."

I think it scares the hell out of people that this could be real and that the future is now. I'd be interested to hear other forum members take on the Google Duplex presentation. Affirmations, skepticism?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I like the idea in theory but if they REALLY wanted to make our lives easier they'd connect humans to get these tasks doen- not just use bots to do this stuff.

How many times have you rented a car hotel, etc. online and them not have your reservation when you get to the airport?

I also grew up on the small town, "midwest values" way of running a business where I personally knew the person changing my oil and cutting my hair. I feel like this takes a lot away from businesses that go the extra mile to give the best customer service.

Perhaps if they created a way, in this example, to call you and your hair dresser at a time that you were both available for a meeting of sorts I could cosign but this seems to be a step in the wrong, and creepy, direction.
    Free Local Checklist
    51Blocks - "White Label" Google Places & Website Development/Hosting - Will Pay Good $$ for Wordpress website hosting referrals
    Wordpress Site Speed Problems? Site speed optimization is part of our hosting - 90's on Google PageSpeed Insights

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Last night I tried using speaker phone to order a pizza from a local place as I was on my way driving there. I must have told the Indian guy on the other end of the phone six times "gourmet Mediterranean"

When I showed up, they didn't even have an order ticket for the pizza, so I had to wait 15 minutes and got a free can of soft drink for my troubles. Duplex all sounds great if you have a good connection, and the other person does not have a heavy accent but I would like to see it for real and not two cherry-picked conversations. Yes the Chinese restaurant lady had an accent but she was still pretty intelligible.