More threads by sarmcl

sarmcl

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Need to get some opinions on call tracking on SEM products and IF it would hurt ranking on Google since numbers do not match your GMB page. For example, we offer an Extended Search Solution product(offered by Dex Media). Essentially they are paid listings on various online directories(similar to Yext). And one of the tracking things they do is put a tracking number on the listing

THe client is worried the tracking number will hurt his ranking on Google since it doesnt match up to his GMB pages

If you have schema properly set up on your website, all other aspects of your GMB setup in good order, and excellent citations set up with the NAP specified in your website schema, call tracking shouldn't be a problem even for the primary phone number on your GMB listing. You can put your primary NAP phone number as the second number in your GMB listing.

Shouldn't mess things up as long as your NAP is consistent.

We're only onboarding clients now that consent to call tracking. Too hard to prove ROI otherwise and harder to keep clients.

...We're only onboarding clients now that consent to call tracking. Too hard to prove ROI otherwise and harder to keep clients.

That's a great idea. I'm leaning toward doing that too for our company.

I think if this specifically asking about Dex tracking, then it could throw a wrench in some things. Using tracking numbers on other local directories can be problematic, because you're introducing more numbers that could be discontinued at some point.

I haven't seen anyone with a solid case study that using tracking numbers outside of GMB and the website is OK. From personal experience I've had to do clean up situations for clients because they used tracking numbers in the past which were discontinued at some point. Those numbers get picked up by other sites, and that creates a little issue.

Don't use tracking numbers outside of your website and GMB.

If you're using the numbers on ad products, then maybe you can get away with it. I guess that would depend how the product is set up (do they use dynamic number insertion).

I think if this specifically asking about Dex tracking, then it could throw a wrench in some things. Using tracking numbers on other local directories can be problematic, because you're introducing more numbers that could be discontinued at some point.

I haven't seen anyone with a solid case study that using tracking numbers outside of GMB and the website is OK. From personal experience I've had to do clean up situations for clients because they used tracking numbers in the past which were discontinued at some point. Those numbers get picked up by other sites, and that creates a little issue.

Don't use tracking numbers outside of your website and GMB.

If you're using the numbers on ad products, then maybe you can get away with it. I guess that would depend how the product is set up (do they use dynamic number insertion).

This is 100% correct.

We currently have a client using call tracking. We use call tracking to evaluate lead quality. It is crucial to have this level of visibility with leads in order to continue your investment into the particular channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also wouldn't advise call tracking outside of your website and GMB unless it's just for a few select directories that you can include the number that you use there as an additional number in GMB.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom