More threads by djbaxter

djbaxter

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Google's Upcoming Speed Update Works On Gradual Scale; Small Improvements Matter
by Barry Schwartz, Search Engine Roundtable
June 29, 2018

Google's John Mueller spoke about the upcoming new Speed Update that is expected some time in July - so any day now. He said that this speed algorithm differs from the one in April 2010 in that it doesn't just measure too slow pages and dings them if they are just too slow, this new Speed Update does work on a "gradual scale" and small gradual improvements to speed can help improve your rankings a little bit, he said.

This is honestly new to me. I thought this new speed update was similar to the one from 8 years ago but the only difference was it now will look at mobile page speed, not just desktop. I was wrong. Google's John Mueller said at the 10:18 minute mark in this morning's hangout, that this speed update is different. He said "It's a bit different than the other speed update that we did, in general, you know maybe like seven or eight years ago where there is no differentiating between like fast and slow." "It's more of a gradual scale," he added. "So the faster you can make your pages the more we can take that into account. And it's not so much that it's like it's too slow or it's faster, " he said.

So making incremental speed updates to your pages will make small improvements to your rankings when this new Speed Update is pushed out. How much will it impact your rankings? John said "a little bit."

[video=youtube_share;8k6z0mzhaXk]https://youtu.be/8k6z0mzhaXk[/video]

Read more...

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom