Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: tattoos!

thanks - I will leave it in their hands for now as we are nowhere near top 3 and have reported it. If it gets to the point where its keeping us out of the top pack we will post and link as suggested.

Some people like this seem to have a forumla that they have cracked that enables them to rank spammy rubbish sites really quickly. Id love to know what it was

2. GradeUs in threads
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Some people like this seem to have a forumla that they have cracked that enables them to rank spammy rubbish sites really quickly. Id love to know what it was
    Well in the case of the first listing, the secret is just that they have a "business name" which is an exact match to the search.
    Joy Hawkins
    Owner of Sterling Sky
    Author of The Expert's Guide to Local SEO, a 270+ page training manual that is updated monthly and contains advanced tips and tactics for Local SEO that actually work and drive results.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit - okay I copied and pasted the URLs in my original post and it made them all into hyperlinks so I edited them out

Quote Originally Posted by JoyHawkins View Post
    Well in the case of the first listing, the secret is just that they have a "business name" which is an exact match to the search.
    This is really interesting, I might be late to the party picking this up but every city I look at seems to have these. Im basically studying the local thing in detail at the moment but a search for

SEO Leeds = seoleeds.net
    Roofers Glasgow = roofers-glasgow.co.uk
    London Loft conversion = southlondonlofts.co.uk

It seems like its a really effective strategy to rank properties with exact match domains, sort of like 2008 SEO.

Would the listings above be regarded as "under threat of removal" or are they quite safe?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James,

It's always a threat but how much of a threat is not easy to determine.

Personally, at my agency, one of the first things we do with a new client is sweep through their city and main keywords and make sure we get every one of these not-legit types of listings removed. In Local SEO it's one of the low-effort-high-impact tasks that should be on everyone's to-do list, in my opinion.

BTW - I edited the title of this thread to help it get more visibility.
    Joy Hawkins
    Owner of Sterling Sky
    Author of The Expert's Guide to Local SEO, a 270+ page training manual that is updated monthly and contains advanced tips and tactics for Local SEO that actually work and drive results.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again - really useful insight, I think I will do this.... do you know if there is a criteria for what I should flag, for example would the above three examples count as spammy and can I get in trouble for flagging things like that?

For example if I flagged the above three and google decided that they were not spam would they then start to ignore my future flags?

Just through leaving reviews over the year (and years) I have a level 7 google guide account so I wondered if flagging with that would add credibility?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as what you should flag and how you should report them, see this guide.

The method you use (how you report them) is really important. For example, reporting something as a duplicate on Google Maps literally does nothing in my experience.

How many reviews you have left doesn't contribute to the authority of your public edits on Google Maps to my knowledge.
    Joy Hawkins
    Owner of Sterling Sky

8. Thanks djbaxter thanked this post
    Likes Colan Nielsen liked this post