More threads by Former Member

Reaction score
Let me clarify for everyone. The "do not show address" box has always been checked (hiding my address) yet now it seems to be showing the address anyway??

Common problem?

EDIT/ADDITION BY LINDA 3/19 12:30 PM:

There is a new bug brewing I started helping folks with last night at the Google forum and also reported to Google.

Suddenly service area businesses with address properly hidden in dash and who's address was also hidden on live page - the addresses just started showing. My concern is folks could get their listings deleted even if they are in full compliance with the guidelines.

We have a help thread going that started about another bug and branched off into a convo about this new bug. So I copied that part of the discussion over here so we can carry on this bug discussion without derailing the OPs help thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Google impressions.. #1 rank for keyword but 0 impressions?!?

Ross I think that's a NEW BUG. I started seeing several reports of the same thing with folks I was helping at the Google forum late last night.

I reported it to Google but I doubt they are in yet.
Will find some of the threads where others are reporting it and post here PLUS let you know what Google says when they reply.

Ross - have you tried edit/submit?

how long have you had this listing verified? have you made any edits to name, address or phone?

there is no history in the corresponding Map Maker entry - Google Map Maker

If Google re-inserted the listing, it might help explain why the address hidden is being overridden.

Hey, I'm a poet!

Ross - have you tried edit/submit?

how long have you had this listing verified? have you made any edits to name, address or phone?

there is no history in the corresponding Map Maker entry - Google Map Maker

If Google re-inserted the listing, it might help explain why the address hidden is being overridden.

Hey, I'm a poet!

We posted at same time Keenan so I didn't see your post.

Great point and theory! That would make sense since when you 1st hide address it takes about 5 days before the address disappears.

Curious if a poke would help. Course even if we get someone to do it would not know if it was the poke that worked or the normal 5 day delay for hiding address since pokes take about 5 days as well.

I'm going to try a MapMaker poke on this one to generate history and see if I can see what's up.

HEY I know you and I have asked Google several times but I don't recall getting an answer... Do we know why so many listings are getting re-created, losing ranking and having to start over in the cycle like new listings? Did we ever get any hints about why that's happening? I have a theory based on one case I worked on, but don't know if it's the only reason all these listings are starting over.

OK did a MapMaker poke to generate history and this it supports my theory.

My theory about why listings are starting over in the local database is due to merges that go backwards and I had this happen on a listing that Jade worked on for me. Instead of the unclaimed dupe merging into the MAIN CLAIMED listing I wanted to keep, the merge went the wrong direction. My claimed #1 ranking listing got merged into the empty unclaimed dupe. So now my claimed LONG STANDING listing suddenly had a brand new CID.

I this case in this thread, when I poked Map Maker to generate history it imported it as a brand new listing in Map Maker. WITH A DOUBLE NAME:

Map Maker Link
This Establishment / Point of Interest is newly added
Google Automated Places Data Copier
Cahill Plumbing & Heating, Inc. (English-Primary)
John F Cahill Plumbing Heating (English)

So Keenan does that make sense? Google creates a dupe in the background after finding citations with another name. Then algo on it's own does a merge but it ends up being a backwards merge so the existing claimed listing starts over due to being a new CID???

No, we never got a straight answer. In fact, I think the only answer we received was listings don't always have histories in MM.

I think you're definitely on to something, that Google may be scraping citations which rebuilds the MM entry, thus showing no history.

That said, this alone would not explain the issue causing the address to no longer be hidden. Several of the reports are from listings with mature MM entries. But I thought it might still play a role in this case.

Warning SABs - Check Address to be Sure Still Hidden

Again the issue that started last night is that service area businesses with address properly hidden in dash and who's address was also hidden on live page - the addresses just started showing.

My concern is folks could get their listings deleted even if they are in full compliance with the guidelines. I reported to Google last night and have added several new reports since then, including Ross's.

ABOVE is the bug convo part of this help thread, split off and copied here for discussion, so we don't throw off Ross's help thread. (Hope that split was not too confusing.)

Please add any additional questions/comments about this issue below.

Just checked one of my SAB clients and the address is displaying live on the G+ Local page :mad:

Sorry Colan!

Here's another at the Google forum - a Tree Trimmer:

Why does my address still show? - Google Groups

Google is on the case since they've seen enough examples and can see that these have address properly hidden in the dashboard.

Additionally I noticed none of these show a service area in their map info bubble, so that's part of the bug I think because I don't believe you can hide address without setting a service area. So I think the whole service area part of the coding is borked or something.

I noticed none of these show a service area in their map info bubble, so that's part of the bug I think because I don't believe you can hide address without setting a service area. So I think the whole service area part of the coding is borked or something.

Now that explains a few things. My SAB has the address hidden in the places dashboard with a service area specified, but its still showing the address publicly. I have never had the service area bubble display on the public side of the map though. I went through and did the report a problem form this morning detailing the issue with my address, I will be curious to see what they say.

Daniel please do let us know what they say. But if it takes them 2 weeks to reply hopefully this bug will already be fixed by then. (But as we know all too well some bugs linger for months.)

Also have you tried a POKE to see if that helps?

I just asked Jade if she can put the moderation team on alert OR get them to hold off on deleting listings til this bug is fixed.

OR wondered is there any way for that team to see in dash to see if listings are really in violation or compliant??? I'm assuming they are just looking live on maps or in Map Maker and if so all they can see on live listing is this address showing bug!

Ya pokes these days are no longer instant - can take about 5 days.
And I'm not even sure a poke would help this bug, just worth a try.

Just checked one of my SAB clients and the address is displaying live on the G+ Local page :mad:

Yep - Just to throw my hat into the ring as well - I have also noticed one of my SAB clients has their address showing when it should be "hidden". :mad:

I just noticed that my own listing is also showing - after all the hassle of getting it hidden a few months ago, remember Linda :) - definitely marked as hidden in the dashboard.

I came straight over to find you all talking about it so I'm hoping that I don't have to do anything if they already know about the bug?

Yep they know and are looking into it.

Just got out of training so have not checked to see if any word yet but will let you know as soon as I find out anything I can share.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom