Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website urls being edited in MM by community editors

I noticed an edit the other day in MM by community editor who changed the web url of a local business, I guess to one he felt he liked better. In this case, I think it was a local chain store and instead of the contact us page, he changed it to the main sub-url for that location.

I don't think I'll be able to locate it, but I think it was approved.

Are there rules about making or approving edits to a web url?

If I want my url to be mydomain.com/contact in Places, is it possible someone will come along in MM and make an edit that gets approved to change the url to my home page?
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: website urls being edited in MM by community editors

Quote Originally Posted by keenan View Post
    I noticed an edit the other day in MM by community editor who changed the web url of a local business, I guess to one he felt he liked better. In this case, I think it was a local chain store and instead of the contact us page, he changed it to the main sub-url for that location.

I don't think I'll be able to locate it, but I think it was approved.

Are there rules about making or approving edits to a web url?

If I want my url to be mydomain.com/contact in Places, is it possible someone will come along in MM and make an edit that gets approved to change the url to my home page?
    For websites the information would be found on Places attributes:
    Website: Add the homepage of the official website for your feature. If the website has a subpage that is specific to the feature, use that link instead. You can also add official government websites for features like famous parks and landmarks.
    As I read that you would link to the overall URL for the local location. In your case it sounds like the editor changed the URL from the Contact page (to that feature or the business in general?) to that of the overall feature. For me it would be contingent on the website layout. If you can't get from the general localized page for the feature to the contacts page with all the info about the feature (lots of chain resturants are like this) then i would link to the Contacts page which in the case of places like McDs and Wendy's would have all the info about the business. But if the local feature has sub-pages that act like a website themselves (one page for contact, another for hours, etc) then I would link to the main-sub page for the business. The logic should be the same for the main URL for a business, you don't link to the contacts page for a law firm's website.
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Re: website urls being edited in MM by community editors

Hello,

then I want to ask why so many listings are marked in Map maker as : "This place has been removed" by owner's request (by Google Automated Internal Syncer 3)? I see that not only the businesses that I help optimizing are marked, but competitors' have the same problem. Also I noticed the bot named Google Automated Internal Syncer 3 on 19th March have been removed businesses from Map Maker. Most of this businesses are not offering face to face service. They are with hidden address in Google Places, but not in Map Maker. According to me, Google is supposed to hide the addresses in Map Maker, not the owners. They have to do it only in the Google Places Dashboard. My concern is because the addresses aren't with hidden in Map Maker, Google's bot has removed all listings there. My question is: will those businesses soon disappear from Google maps or this is just some kind of technical issue?

I will be happy if somebody has the answer of those questions. Thanks
    Last edited by aylinkyusein; 03-21-2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: poor data
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Website urls being edited in MM by community editors

aylinkyusein - you should really start a new thread for questions like this...

"
    will those businesses soon disappear from Google maps"

But no, they will not.

Andrew - thanks for the input.
    I think you're alright no matter what they say.
    Advanced reply Reply