More threads by Travis Van Slooten

Solutions
Reaction score
My client has his main listing but we discovered a duplicate recently. As usual, I reported the duplicate via the "Report a Problem" link about 4 weeks ago. Google ignored the request so I reported it as a duplicate again via the "Report a Problem" link about a week ago.

When I went to check on the listing today, Google just marked it as "relocated." Take a look:

03.22.2013-15.00 - tvanslooten's library

I thought Google always deleted duplicates? I've never seen this where they refuse to delete a duplicate. Could it be because the duplicate has a different address than the client's main listing...which is on 206 Marina Drive?

What should I do with this listing as the client doesn't want customers finding this listing - which a couple have already? Can I edit the listing details by removing the address and phone number at least?

Travis Van Slooten

I thought Google always deleted duplicates? I've never seen this where they refuse to delete a duplicate. Could it be because the duplicate has a different address than the client's main listing...which is on 206 Marina Drive?

Hey Travis,

Technically it's not a dupe. Dupes that they will delete or merge are same business, same location, different NAP.

If it's a different location then it depends on the situation. Were they previously located there? Did they move?

Google will seldom delete listings any more if there is a public record anywhere for the business at that location. If if the owner screams I don't want my listing on Google, delete it or I'll sue you, they won't delete it. If business is closed can mark as closed. Moved mark as moved, but they won't delete.

If there are citations and they used to use that address then Google probably did what they intended and showed it as moved.

Can I edit the listing details by removing the address and phone number at least?

Can't have a listing without address and phone #. It would not even be maps listing if it only had a name.

Can you explain more the real world situation, like they moved or that's a bogus address it's just a bad scrape and they were never there or whatever the specific situation is and maybe one of the Map Maker experts can advise.

It is my understanding that once they have marked it as closed or relocated, it no longer comes back as a search result even though it still exists. This effectively removes it, as a duplicate as it won't be returned as a relevant search result.

Hey Travis,

Technically it's not a dupe. Dupes that they will delete or merge are same business, same location, different NAP.

If it's a different location then it depends on the situation. Were they previously located there? Did they move?

Google will seldom delete listings any more if there is a public record anywhere for the business at that location. If if the owner screams I don't want my listing on Google, delete it or I'll sue you, they won't delete it. If business is closed can mark as closed. Moved mark as moved, but they won't delete.

If there are citations and they used to use that address then Google probably did what they intended and showed it as moved.

Can't have a listing without address and phone #. It would not even be maps listing if it only had a name.

Can you explain more the real world situation, like they moved or that's a bogus address it's just a bad scrape and they were never there or whatever the specific situation is and maybe one of the Map Maker experts can advise.
Its not a duplicate as Linda correctly pointed out. A duplicate is a mirror or close twin of a listing/feature. The criteria and selection choice for deleting features is found here: Delete or restore a place - Map Maker Help

Doesn't Exist - would be used if the business was never there
Duplicates - not a duplicate as the features are located in different locations (if there was a previous location)
Closed/relocated is for places that have moved, closed perminantly or seasonal business not currently open but will reopen in X-months. The advice they gave you is correct, provided the 1st location was legit at one time.
It is my understanding that once they have marked it as closed or relocated, it no longer comes back as a search result even though it still exists. This effectively removes it, as a duplicate as it won't be returned as a relevant search result.
Closed/moved features will show up in a Maps search if someone is searching nearby the feature for that business. Not sure at what proximity is needed to the closed and/or open feature but I've seen search results for closed/moved features. They inidcate the message its closed or moved and will display the new address if Google knows it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. This helps a ton. For this specific client, I'll have to check if he ever had a location at that old location. I don't believe he did. I think that listing is a bad scrape.

Bottom line is this...it sounds like Google did the right thing and we're stuck with this listing. Can I at least go in and change the description via "edit business details" or should I just leave it alone?

Travis Van Slooten

For this specific client, I'll have to check if he ever had a location at that old location. I don't believe he did. I think that listing is a bad scrape.

Wait Travis, that page is CLAIMED, so you need to get log in from the customer. It has description AND is showing as verified, so no need to edit in maps if you can just work in your client's dash.

G+L: https://plus.google.com/117221223050628358223/about?gl=us&hl=en

Links to: St. Simons Island Charter Fishing Guides

Above site is still live and also owned by Capt. TJ Cheek, same guy that owns the site for the listing you are managing at 206 Marina Dr. So looks like it's his listing and he should be able to give you the log in so you can edit directly.

Also, as I'm sure you are aware there are some other listings at that same phone that could hurt his ranking OR cause a merge. http://goo.gl/maps/E9pgL

In theory we should be able to login but my client doesn't have it. He says it's possible he created the listing many moons ago but he has no recollection and no records.

And thanks for the head's up on the other listings. We're aware of those as well. We've been in the process of getting all of this stuff cleaned up.

Thanks!

Travis

Above site is still live and also owned by Capt. TJ Cheek, same guy that owns the site for the listing you are managing at 206 Marina Dr. So looks like it's his listing and he should be able to give you the log in so you can edit directly.

Also, as I'm sure you are aware there are some other listings at that same phone that could hurt his ranking OR cause a merge. (912) 617-5577 - Google Maps

Is a listing marked as moved/closed going to hurt their ranking? The logical answer is no but as we all know, computer systems aren't always logical, at least in the human sense.

Is a listing marked as moved/closed going to hurt their ranking?

Do you mean will it hurt the closed listing or the other listing? Because on the closed listing, it totally pulls it out of search so it won't rank for any keywords. Will only show if you search directly by name/phone.
So I guess you meant will it hurt the other open listing? No it should not affect it at all.

Linda, I have to agree with Travis that sometime it is theory. Right now I have a friend client who is going through the same problem, where a closed location on map shouldn't be showing up on local search result and it is. The correct listing we claimed is showing up high on just few competitive keyword but the old one that is showing as closed and moved still shows up but on page 3 of google map listings for the other competitive keywords.
We just started working on their local about three weeks ago so perhaps we need more time to see.

I been telling google that if we delete the old one then it will allow the new one to rank for those. I just think google is not perfect. Sometimes some of these are theory because it is not working as it should.

Any input Linda

Hi Emmanuel,

Welcome to the forum.

Since this thread is over a year half old and is about a different situation than your client, you should maybe start a new thread. If you post it in the help section you can post links so we can take a look.

Closed listings are not supposed to rank but Pigeon may have changed things. Plus Google says a closed listing should not interfere with ranking of the main listing, but I have seen it happen.

One piece of advice I can give you though is when you call support, never talk about ranking. They don't care if you are ranking. They care about the user - the surfer.

So next time talk about data quality and not wanting users to get frustrated from possibly going to the old location, because the business is no longer there. Talking in those terms may help you get further with support.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom