Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: NAP Consistency

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    NAP Consistency

    Hello all,
    So I know that NAP Consistency is essential to local search.

    For my clients, I put in the footer, schema, and each listing the full, correctly written address, like this:
    Terrell Hogan
    233 East Bay Street
    Suite 804
    Jacksonville, FL 32202

    I've noticed that Google and other listings change the address to abbreviate certain things, like so:
    Terrell Hogan
    233 E Bay St,
    #804
    Jacksonville, FL 32202

    So, my question is, is it best to write the address like it is displayed in the Google listing (modified from the original by Google), or how it is originally on the site?

    I didn't know if the modifications to the address would create NAP inconsistency, and, consequently, problems.

    Thanks!!
    Kim

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    16
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: NAP Consistency

    I'd be curious to hear what other opinions are on this, but in my opinion, I would try to match it to the way it is displayed on your Google+ Local page. With that said, I do think Google is smart enough to realize that they are the same, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    303
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: NAP Consistency

    I like to match the Google+ address. I think it is easy for Google to get confused. Sometimes it isn't so clear cut and easy but if you can I would match the Google+ address.

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    341
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: NAP Consistency

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim TechSEO View Post
    Hello all,
    So I know that NAP Consistency is essential to local search.

    For my clients, I put in the footer, schema, and each listing the full, correctly written address, like this:
    Terrell Hogan
    233 East Bay Street
    Suite 804
    Jacksonville, FL 32202

    I've noticed that Google and other listings change the address to abbreviate certain things, like so:
    Terrell Hogan
    233 E Bay St,
    #804
    Jacksonville, FL 32202

    So, my question is, is it best to write the address like it is displayed in the Google listing (modified from the original by Google), or how it is originally on the site?

    I didn't know if the modifications to the address would create NAP inconsistency, and, consequently, problems.

    Thanks!!
    Kim
    It should actually be:
    Terrell Hogan
    233 East Bay Street
    Suite 804
    Jacksonville, Florida 32202

    Google Maps likes fully-spelled out addresses so they are easy to find. Google will often abbreviate in displaying an address but when entering it in it should be the full spelled out version. I checked the listing in question in Map Maker and it appears to be fully spelled out (save the State which isn't as much of a big deal).

    Quote Originally Posted by Marie Ysais View Post
    I like to match the Google+ address. I think it is easy for Google to get confused. Sometimes it isn't so clear cut and easy but if you can I would match the Google+ address.
    Which should be a full spelled out name as shown above.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: NAP Consistency

    It's certainly best to enter the address as consistently as possible, but OTOH, Google is pretty "smart" when it comes to recognizing different formats; a great piece by Matt McGee:

    SBSM Mailbag: Does Google Normalize NAP Data? (Name, Address, Phone)

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    16
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: NAP Consistency

    Thanks for posting that article Phil. The key point I got from that is...

    Whenever possible, seed consistent NAP and pick your NAP based on how Google represents the data in their index (i.e., the address information matches how Google shows the address on their map). This will minimize problems.

    So if your data that Google is showing on your Google+ Local page is
    Terrell Hogan, 233 E Bay St, #804, Jacksonville, FL 32202, then I would assume that is the exact NAP data you'd want to use across the web.

    But then Andrew Sawyer said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sawyer View Post
    Google will often abbreviate in displaying an address but when entering it in it should be the full spelled out version.
    So do you go based off of what Google+ Local has your address as, or go with what Google Map Maker has for your business information?

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: NAP Consistency

    Great question, Andrew. At least in my experience, it just doesn't matter. Again, Google is very good at sorting out addresses.

Similar Threads

  1. Google: NAME Consistency EVEN ON PHONE Important + Other Warnings for SMBs
    By Linda Buquet in forum Google Local IMPORTANT
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •