More threads by Kim TechSEO

Reaction score
Hello all,
So I know that NAP Consistency is essential to local search.

For my clients, I put in the footer, schema, and each listing the full, correctly written address, like this:
Terrell Hogan
233 East Bay Street
Suite 804
Jacksonville, FL 32202

I've noticed that Google and other listings change the address to abbreviate certain things, like so:
Terrell Hogan
233 E Bay St,
Jacksonville, FL 32202

So, my question is, is it best to write the address like it is displayed in the Google listing (modified from the original by Google), or how it is originally on the site?

I didn't know if the modifications to the address would create NAP inconsistency, and, consequently, problems.

Thanks!!
Kim

I'd be curious to hear what other opinions are on this, but in my opinion, I would try to match it to the way it is displayed on your Google+ Local page. With that said, I do think Google is smart enough to realize that they are the same, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I like to match the Google+ address. I think it is easy for Google to get confused. Sometimes it isn't so clear cut and easy but if you can I would match the Google+ address.

Hello all,
So I know that NAP Consistency is essential to local search.

For my clients, I put in the footer, schema, and each listing the full, correctly written address, like this:
Terrell Hogan
233 East Bay Street
Suite 804
Jacksonville, FL 32202

I've noticed that Google and other listings change the address to abbreviate certain things, like so:
Terrell Hogan
233 E Bay St,
Jacksonville, FL 32202

So, my question is, is it best to write the address like it is displayed in the Google listing (modified from the original by Google), or how it is originally on the site?

I didn't know if the modifications to the address would create NAP inconsistency, and, consequently, problems.

Thanks!!
Kim
It should actually be:
Terrell Hogan
233 East Bay Street
Suite 804
Jacksonville, Florida 32202

Google Maps likes fully-spelled out addresses so they are easy to find. Google will often abbreviate in displaying an address but when entering it in it should be the full spelled out version. I checked the listing in question in Map Maker and it appears to be fully spelled out (save the State which isn't as much of a big deal).

I like to match the Google+ address. I think it is easy for Google to get confused. Sometimes it isn't so clear cut and easy but if you can I would match the Google+ address.
Which should be a full spelled out name as shown above.

Thanks for posting that article Phil. The key point I got from that is...

Whenever possible, seed consistent NAP and pick your NAP based on how Google represents the data in their index (i.e., the address information matches how Google shows the address on their map). This will minimize problems.

So if your data that Google is showing on your Google+ Local page is
Terrell Hogan, 233 E Bay St, #804, Jacksonville, FL 32202, then I would assume that is the exact NAP data you'd want to use across the web.

But then Andrew Sawyer said:

Google will often abbreviate in displaying an address but when entering it in it should be the full spelled out version.

So do you go based off of what Google+ Local has your address as, or go with what Google Map Maker has for your business information?

Great question, Andrew. At least in my experience, it just doesn't matter. Again, Google is very good at sorting out addresses.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom