GradeUs banner  below header new
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member Since
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    37
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    One that slipped through

    Was just doing some searching and came across this. Check out the number 2 listing. I would think this is fairly competitive, wonder how they are able to slip through and get away with it.

    I did a search for roofing contractors rochester ny.


    Name:  Screen Shot 2013-04-08 at 4.02.23 PM.png
Views: 142
Size:  90.3 KB

  2. GradeUs in thread
  3. #2
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    361
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: One that slipped through

    Hi Todd,

    Which element do you think they have slipped through on?

    In reference to their "Title", Google can choose to display their home page title rather than the places page Title...

    --------So, whilst their title looks "spammy", it's actually just Google displaying the home page title (possibly)
    Last edited by Nick.SEOSpark; 04-08-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: More clarification
    Nicholas Pratt | Director | Add me on Google+
    SEO Spark



  4. #3
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    2,721
    Thanks (Received)
    32
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Re: One that slipped through

    That was my first thought as well. However, it looks like that is indeed the title of the G+ Local page itself - Highland Contractors Rochester NYRoofing Contractor

    Todd, it's just a matter of time before listings with spammy titles get nuked. Either by a Google employee or a Map Maker RER.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.SEOSpark View Post
    Hi Todd,

    Which element do you think they have slipped through on?

    In reference to their "Title", Google can choose to display their home page title rather than the places page Title...

    --------So, whilst their title looks "spammy", it's actually just Google displaying the home page title (possibly)
    Colan Nielsen l GMB Top Contributor
    Vice President, Local Search at Sterling Sky
    Connect on Google + and Twitter

  5. #4
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    361
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: One that slipped through

    Quote Originally Posted by Colan Nielsen View Post
    That was my first thought as well. However, it looks like that is indeed the title of the G+ Local page itself - Highland Contractors Rochester NYRoofing Contractor

    Todd, it's just a matter of time before listings with spammy titles get nuked. Either by a Google employee or a Map Maker RER.
    Ah year, i certainly didn't do the search and check on their listing.

    If their title really is like that, I normally go through and report it to Google. And yeah, it's only a matter of time till they get onto it!
    Nicholas Pratt | Director | Add me on Google+
    SEO Spark



  6. #5
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    252
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: One that slipped through

    I have a question. When you go to their Google+ page and click on edit details(sends you to map maker) to Edit the name of the business it only lists the actual name of the business: Highland Contractors with out the city.

    How would you flag the name as inappropriate? Just curious!

  7. #6
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    2,721
    Thanks (Received)
    32
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Re: One that slipped through

    Quote Originally Posted by Marie Ysais View Post
    I have a question. When you go to their Google+ page and click on edit details(sends you to map maker) to Edit the name of the business it only lists the actual name of the business: Highland Contractors with out the city.

    How would you flag the name as inappropriate? Just curious!
    Nice Catch, Marie. I would explain in the details of the report that the title is indeed spammed on the actual page. That would probably do the trick.
    Colan Nielsen l GMB Top Contributor
    Vice President, Local Search at Sterling Sky
    Connect on Google + and Twitter

  8. #7
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    361
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: One that slipped through

    Quote Originally Posted by Colan Nielsen View Post
    Nice Catch, Marie. I would explain in the details of the report that the title is indeed spammed on the actual page. That would probably do the trick.
    Yes, when you report a spam title, there is the option to "enter the correct name if you know it". I don't tend to do this now, and instead, simply report it as being manipulative. I used to give the correct name but it requires extra work on my part to find the official DBA name - - So now, I report as being manipulative.
    Nicholas Pratt | Director | Add me on Google+
    SEO Spark



  9. #8
    Member Since
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    37
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: One that slipped through

    Thanks guys. Ya i was wondering how they got it like that. But like you said probably only a matter of time...

  10. #9
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Re: One that slipped through

    Oh, and to add insult to injury, none of these guys has their address hidden. Sometimes Google just isn't watching...

  11. #10
    Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    925
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    34

    Re: One that slipped through

    I should probably call all these guys and explain that I can fix their listings before they get nuked... or maybe I'll drive to their office and talk to them in person lol.
    My rarely updated website (I should fix that) - https://www.ericrohrback.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Want to talk? Book time with me here

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Local Marketing Summit banner above footer new