More threads by LeslyLaslo

Reaction score
I currently work with many clients that contain a Suite # in their address. Logging in, some of the listings have been suspended. In contacting Google, they informed me that they pulled down the pages because Suite has been entered in the second address line as STE and that it must be spelled out fully. Is there a new guideline, that I can't find, which states the correct second line address formatting?

I appreciate any comments you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Leslie, not only is it not spelled out in guidelines, but suspension is a pretty strict penalty for a common formatting error/abbreviation.

However in my training for consultants I always recommend avoiding Ste even though most citations might be that way due to USPS abbreviation. I just don't think the algo likes or read that abbreviation properly and have never seen her scrape and create a listing with Ste even if that's what the overwhelming # of citations show.

But still, suspension? Really Google? Are you sure there was not some other issue?

Linking to your post at the Google forum too, in case Google comments there. https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/business/S4SZ1N2motA

I wish there were another reason, but the Google rep simply stated that Suite must be spelled out and suspension was strictly due to that. The most recent problem is with the following account.
If will notice it is now displaying as a # symbol. Please let me know if there is anything else you find that may be conflicting with Google.

https://plus.google.com/101570531543855337047

Hi LeslyLaslo,

Are you able to share the response that Google gave you?

It was through Google Places Phone Support. He simply stated that listings would be suspended if Ste was not spelled out.

It was through Google Places Phone Support. He simply stated that listings would be suspended if Ste was not spelled out.

:confused: Confused now: Were you told that the listings WERE suspended or that they WOULD BE SUSPENDED if you didn't correct "Ste" to "Suite"?

This seems like a pretty drastic measure for such an innocent action. As Linda stated, it's certainly not spelled out anywhere in the guidelines. There isn't even anything that could be considered hinting at this being a guideline.

I know the Map Maker guidelines suggest that all addresses be spelled out in full, but that's a different beast.

Are you comfortable sharing a screen shot of the dash for the listing that was suspended?

It's mentioned in Google places quality guidelines here as
If you need to specify a mail box or suite number within your physical location, please list your physical address in Address Line 1, and put your mail box or suite number in Address Line 2.
But about spelled out in full not sure about that and never heard about penalty/suspension for suite/ste either.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for pointing that out :)

Lesly mentioned that the suite# is on the second address line. That's what makes this such an interesting find.

It's mentioned in Google places quality guidelines here as But about spelled out in full not sure about that and never heard about penalty/suspension for suite/ste either.

The Google rep changed the abbreviation to be spelled out in my dashboard and un-suspended the listing while we were on the phone. Below is a current screenshot. Of course all my data disappeared when they returned the listing to active.
Image 5.jpg

This was such a steep penalty for an unknown "quality guideline". I'm combing through my managed listings to make sure there are not any other instances.

Image 5.jpg

Yes suite line 2 is def in guidelines but abbreviating is not.

Perhaps the Google employee was misinformed or still in early stages of training?

@LeslyLaslo

Google sure doesn't make it clear what is and is not OK, especially when sometimes they format "Suite" as "Ste." Even though suspending you for doing that seems too strict even for Google (as others here have said), I wouldn't rule it out. Any reason you can't just go into your Dashboard and spell it out to read "Suite"? That's not going to hurt your NAP consistency, if that was a concern.

Couldn't much of the Suite, STE, # issues be resolved by simply adding a field in the Dashboard such as "Suite (if applicable)"? Google could then format it and append this information to the NAP as they feel and all we would have to figure out is how Google is displaying that info (Suite, #, STE, etc.). Is that too simple?

Of course, this could likely put editors out of a job as it seems that G hires people to pay such close attention to a misspelling without clear direction.

Recently, I've noticed Bing Places has been pushing adherence to their Address Formatting Guidelines which rely on the USPS database. They do this with a pop-box stating the following:

"We would like to reformat your address as shown below so that it conforms to our address formatting guidelines. Choose which version of the address you want to use: (Suggested Address or Current Address)."

However, USPS standard abbreviations and formatting prefer "Ste" in Address Line 1, versus "Suite" or "#" in Address Line 2 which Google favors.

Bing Places address formatting guidelines can be found here: https://www.bingplaces.com/Home/MoreFAQ

Data Guidelines > Listing Data Guidelines > "For validating addresses in United States, click here."

And so I leave it with all of you: Which is more important - NAP consistency down to the Suite normalization level (per Google standards), across the board, or giving Bing (in this case) what they want?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom