More threads by Daniel C Berman

Reaction score
So I appear to have gotten myself in a pickle. After changing to a unique account Google places account and changed my Google Voice Number to something more local to my service area I ended up in the following situation which I posted to the Google Places product forum.

https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/business/N4U35sdTcbs/iA2HX5HcesMJ

If I know there is duplicate out there, wouldn't it speed the process to actually report it rather than waiting for a random places staff person at Google to get my ticket as the next one in his queue? I am just not quite sure how if I don't have a live Google places url yet.

Yep. If you or someone else can make that listing go bye-bye that would be great! I am hoping that will clear whatever issue Google's automated system has flagged my correct listing for and I can start working from there.

Last edited:
That listing has a different phone number than what's on your website. Is that listing for an old location?

I changed Google Voice numbers from something that was easy to remember (and located several hundreds of miles away) to something that is within about 30 miles of my main market in an effort to improve my local relevance. (Unfortunately Google Voice doesn't have any numbers with 509 area codes.)

I had also started to run multiple client's accounts under the same Google Places for Business account. When I learned that wasn't so wise I decided it was time to consolidate things so that my Google Analytics, personal Google Plus profile, Google Voice number, and Google Places for Business profile for my own business was all on one account. Then I will simply create a separate gmail account for each of my clients, run the various accounts through that gmail account for them and then share as appropriate with my master account. Then they also have an account to take with them if they leave.

So yeah the simplest answer is that the profile is from an "old location."

I think Jim's advice in the Google Forum is exactly what I would advise given what I know of the situation.

Colan,
Looks like your advice was correct. Not sure if it was human or algorithm but Google kicked my places entry out of pending "under review" and gave me the old profile url back.

https://plus.google.com/109688267563742231827/

The interesting part is that at least at the moment its displaying only my business name, my city, my state, the about link, and the photos link. There's no listing of the old or new phone numbers, my business description, my service area, or my payment methods. All of this information information was listed on the previous places entry, and is listed on the current places entry in the dashboard as well.

Colan,
Looks like your advice was correct. Not sure if it was human or algorithm but Google kicked my places entry out of pending "under review" and gave me the old profile url back.

https://plus.google.com/109688267563742231827/

The interesting part is that at least at the moment its displaying only my business name, my city, my state, the about link, and the photos link. There's no listing of the old or new phone numbers, my business description, my service area, or my payment methods. All of this information information was listed on the previous places entry, and is listed on the current places entry in the dashboard as well.
Dan, because you tried setting up a new listing instead of fixing the old one its likey that google reset it on you.

So bring this thread to a close, it looks like Google implemented a fix to the SAB Bug that was causing pages to be hidden and I now have details again instead of blank page.

I am concerned by the fact its displaying my old phone number despite the new phone number being the only one in my dashboard.

I am concerned by the fact its displaying my old phone number despite the new phone number being the only one in my dashboard.

Hi Daniel,

Use the Report a Problem/Edit Business Details feature and make sure your phone number is listed correctly on all your 3rd party listings.

Re: Pending Listing & Known Duplicate that I can't report

Use the Report a Problem/Edit Business Details feature and make sure your phone number is listed correctly on all your 3rd party listings.

If I click on the report a problem link I get the "The page won't load...we have tried everything" error. I believe there was discussion about that bug happening because the SABs were kicked out of MapMaker.

Based on the URL - http://www.google.com/mapmaker?ui_t...w58UajBG-OaiALx1YCACA&gl=US&hl=en&ep=pluspage

It definitely looks like MapMaker is being queried.

Last edited:
I don't have time to back track and read the whole thread, but if the remaining problem is bad phone on live - you're right, RAP won't work on most SAB listings now.

I'd try troubleshooter on Monday and use the phone option so you can talk to a live person and they should be able to fix it right then.

Called Google Places Support this morning and learned an interesting tidbit from one of the reps. They prefer that you don't use Google Voice or VOIP numbers (thinking vonage) on Places listings. He suggested I get a landline or cell phone with a local area code.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom