More threads by burton4550

Reaction score
So I finally received my verification needed for Google + local and got his page all set up, as well as set up his Google + main page as well for Google authorship so it will hopefully throw his pic in the SERP's.

I just did this about 3 days ago and was curious about a couple things...

#1 He already had Google Places set up, so will that automatically convert into the Google + Local page now? Or is he going to have 2 separate ones? When I search his business, the Places page and the + local page both pull up. Both are linking back to his site and his site is linking to the + local page, just wasn't sure if both will stick around or merge together.

#2 How long on average does it take for the spider to crawl and connect the site with the + local page and main Google + page for authorship since they're all linking to each other?

Thanks in advance for the help
cheers
Brad :)

Sorry Brad, confused as the terms are confusing. (Thanks to Google)

"He already had Google Places set up, so will that automatically convert into the Google + Local page now?"

A Place page IS a Google+ Local page automatically. Just different names for the same page.

"So I finally received my verification needed for Google + local and got his page all set up"

So let's start with that sentence. You said Google + local but below you said he already had a Place page.

So did you mean you verified his Google+ Business page to try to merge it with his Place page??? If so, and if you did it right. Then as soon as you entered PIN I think the 2 pages should have merged into one.

If not or if I misunderstood and you explain more - please call the pages 1) Place page OR 2) G+ Business page OR 3) a Merged G+ Business - page to try to keep things straight so I can understand what you mean. (Google has made this so confusing!)

Man, 80% of these issues people are having are really just coming down to branding confusion.

Great questions, Linda. It's too bad that half of your time is spent trying to clarify what pages are being referred to. But man, you do a great job at it.

2 How long on average does it take for the spider to crawl and connect the site with the + local page and main Google + page for authorship since they're all linking to each other?

Generally a week (sometimes a bit more), assuming everything's been hooked up correctly.

Here's a little sketch I whipped together to illustrate (using one of my clients to illustrate):

authorship-interaction.gif

Sorry Brad, confused as the terms are confusing. (Thanks to Google)

"He already had Google Places set up, so will that automatically convert into the Google + Local page now?"

A Place page IS a Google+ Local page automatically. Just different names for the same page.

"So I finally received my verification needed for Google + local and got his page all set up"

So let's start with that sentence. You said Google + local but below you said he already had a Place page.

So did you mean you verified his Google+ Business page to try to merge it with his Place page??? If so, and if you did it right. Then as soon as you entered PIN I think the 2 pages should have merged into one.

If not or if I misunderstood and you explain more - please call the pages 1) Place page OR 2) G+ Business page OR 3) a Merged G+ Business - page to try to keep things straight so I can understand what you mean. (Google has made this so confusing!)

Thanks Linda appreciate the reply.

I'll start out first with saying, you couldn't be more right! Google has made this whole process very confusing, especially considering I'm more experienced in building mini niche review sites, and big authority sites. This is one of my first local business sites, and it has been quite the battle.

I finally have his site on the middle of page one for a few keywords in the SERP's, but jeesh, I think it was more work for me with this, then it was for a some of the really hot product review site's I've done lol.

Anyway, I'll try and sum it up a little more in detail.

He already had a Google places set up (as in Google places before Google + even existed)

I set my client up with a Google + account. I first set up his profile (personal info ect..) of course also linking back to his site and also optimizing it a tad for his business and keywords as well for the Google authorship, and to have his pic pull up in the SERP's.

Once I set that up, I went in to his Google + account and created a new page.

I selected the "Local business or Place page" option and proceeded to fill in all the required info it asked for, which was easy because it found it from the place page he already set up. So I requested the verification, and I got it verified. Then optimized it all for the description, pics video, link back to his site ect...

Now when you type in his business name, there are 2 separate pages. One looks as if it's Google Places, and the other Google + business page (or local, still confused on that).

If this might help a bit, the site is Http://360-wireless.com and the keywords I search where it pulls up both pages is, "360 Wireless Boise". His main keyword is "Cell Phone Repair Boise" and that just shows his site, then links to the Google Places page he already had set up, but not the Google + one, however that is only 3 days old so maybe they will merge together here soon?

I'm so confused on all this place, local +, business page I don't know which is which now HEEEEEELP :eek: lol

---------- Post Merged at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:22 PM ----------

Generally a week (sometimes a bit more), assuming everything's been hooked up correctly.

Here's a little sketch I whipped together to illustrate (using one of my clients to illustrate):

Thanks Phil!

For some reason I can't seem to get myself to stop wanting to jump straight to Step 5 lol.

I think that's the best step I've ever seen since I started IM :)

Appreciate the time frame help though, it's only been about 3 days, well technically 4 now, so hopefully his pic will show up in the SERP's within the next few days, I hope anyways.

Thanks Phil!

For some reason I can't seem to get myself to stop wanting to jump straight to Step 5 lol.

I think that's the best step I've ever seen since I started IM :)

Appreciate the time frame help though, it's only been about 3 days, well technically 4 now, so hopefully his pic will show up in the SERP's within the next few days, I hope anyways.

I'm indulging in a frosty Cherry Wheat at the moment, so I share your urge :)

Pretty sure you're familiar with Google's Rich Snippets Testing Tool, but in case not: Google Structured Data Testing Tool

It's far from error-free, but most of the time it will tell you whether your authorship is hooked-up properly. Nothing worse than waiting for Google to process it, eventually determining you have to redo it, and then waiting some more...

Now when you type in his business name, there are 2 separate pages. One looks as if it's Google Places, and the other Google + business page (or local, still confused on that).

If this might help a bit, the site is Http://360-wireless.com and the keywords I search where it pulls up both pages is, "360 Wireless Boise". His main keyword is "Cell Phone Repair Boise" and that just shows his site, then links to the Google Places page he already had set up, but not the Google + one, however that is only 3 days old so maybe they will merge together here soon?

I'm so confused on all this place, local +, business page I don't know which is which now HEEEEEELP :eek: lol

OK, ya you may have a problem.

Here are both pages: (208) 384-0091 - Google Maps

There should only be one.

This one is the verified G+ page that's merged with a Place page.
https://plus.google.com/110392113461902254148/about?gl=us&hl=en
If that was the only one it would be fine and dandy.

But you also have a separate Place page that's not merged - just a Place page here:
https://plus.google.com/101360246423516125435/about?gl=us&hl=en

Was there by chance a duplicate Place page before you tried to merge with G+? Did you ever notice one?

OK, ya you may have a problem.

Here are both pages: (208) 384-0091 - Google Maps

There should only be one.

This one is the verified G+ page that's merged with a Place page.
https://plus.google.com/110392113461902254148/about?gl=us&hl=en
If that was the only one it would be fine and dandy.

But you also have a separate Place page that's not merged - just a Place page here:
https://plus.google.com/101360246423516125435/about?gl=us&hl=en

Was there by chance a duplicate Place page before you tried to merge with G+? Did you ever notice one?

That's where I'm confused, when I first started doing his site, he only had a Google Places set up which I guess was already merged with a Google + page.

However when I tried to edit all the info to optimize it better, nothing would show up, it just was the original info from his places page. I waited like a month and still nothing changed, so I just assummed I needed to set up a Google + Local business page and verify that and the other page would just merge with it.

The first link you listed is the one I've optimized the best and set up.

So should I just go in and cancel the other? Or is that even possible?

---------- Post Merged at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I'm indulging in a frosty Cherry Wheat at the moment, so I share your urge

I think I may have to just try those, that sounds very good! You got an affiliate link to them before I make a purchase lol :D

Good idea though, I should definitely check that out to make sure I have it set up right.

Sorry I was out for a medical procedure all day.

How exactly did you delete it? Do you mean you deleted it in the dashboard and said delete from Maps?
Google won't delete listings that way any more.

When you say deleted, if you deleted some other way please explain how.

Sorry I was out for a medical procedure all day.

How exactly did you delete it? Do you mean you deleted it in the dashboard and said delete from Maps?
Google won't delete listings that way any more.

When you say deleted, if you deleted some other way please explain how.

No worries, hope you 're feeling better. :)

The one I chose to delete was the one that was originally merged from places to Google local.

I went into that one and it gave the option, manage this page. I clicked that and it took me to what the old Google places set up looked like. I hit the delete button in there and it pulled up 2 options for reason's to delete. I can't remember what they said, but once I hit that and clicked save changes it showed the account as suspended and popped up a message saying it will be removed from Google maps in about 4 weeks.

I'm not sure if I did it right, or it worked, but it seems like that should at least remove that one listing from Google maps so he only has the one that I set up.

The one that was merged to Google local from Google places was different when you'd edit as well compared to his Google + and local page I set up.

Every time I'd go into that account and edit or check info on it, it would take me to how the old Google places set up looked like instead of what it looks like when you edit your pages in Google +.

I'm just hoping it works.

No that's the one that does not work even though in dash it said it would be deleted from maps.

Delete from account instead, then right on the listing click report a problem and report as a duplicate.

Ok thanks Linda.

I went in and did as you said so now hopefully it'll be removed.

Thanks for all your help with this I really appreciate it. Google has made it quite confusing with there merge into Google Local.

I should be good now though.

So, where you're showing Authorship against a Places page - can that still be done for SABs who cannot have a proper Google+ Local page yet?

Phil, noticing that you have a link to the G+ Local page in the "Other Profiles" section. Do you find that to be a necessary step in order to have the photo show up in the local results and not just the organic?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom