More threads by JoshuaMackens

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I have a business that is moving and I had a particular question which I don't know if anyone has asked yet. I've heard that the official policy (whether true or not) is to mark your listing as moved and then create a new one. If so, do you think that Google does this because when you marked the business "moved" it stops counting those citations of the NAP? Otherwise, if you didn't mark it closed and just changed the name, it could continue to think that the business was still there?

This would present a problem as you might end up splitting your ranking between two locations or face a duplicate penalty.

Thoughts?

Also, if the official policy is to open a new listing, is there a chance those reviews will get switched over?

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a real pain when they changed it, as a lot of us were in the routine of "marking as closed" and creating a new listing. It should have been this method all along. That would have been so much easier.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom