More threads by Cleaner44

Reaction score
I figured I should share a problem I found with a Google listing today. A company that had been showing up on the map with no issues before was now nowhere to be found. As I examined it, I discovered the listing address was pinned out in the ocean off of the coast of Africa instead of being in a city in America. The problem was completely due to the fact that someone had listed the Suite number on Address line 1, instead of Address line 2.

The Google guidelines state that we should use line 2 for Suites but certainly many listings incorrectly have the Suite in line 1. Do it right, play it safe and make sure any and all Suite numbers are listed in their proper place... line 2.

Hi Cleaner44,
Good catch! Thanks for sharing this with us. Yes, it's important to follow the second line guidelines. Unfortunately, Linda has recently reported that some people have made good on these, only to have rankings drop. Go figure! Sincerely hope that doesn't happen to you, and glad you've fished the business out of the ocean:D

Wowser that's a huge catch. As Miriam said I've been involved in or tried to help with some problems regarding Suite on the wrong line, but never thought to look for a listing out in the ocean.

Can you tell me a little more? How did you find? Did you do a maps search for phone and you were able to pull up listing that way then saw the map marker was wrong?

Wowser that's a huge catch. As Miriam said I've been involved in or tried to help with some problems regarding Suite on the wrong line, but never thought to look for a listing out in the ocean.

Can you tell me a little more? How did you find? Did you do a maps search for phone and you were able to pull up listing that way then saw the map marker was wrong?

Well a search of the phone number didn't find the listing like it normaly would. I thought this was very odd because the listing showed Active in the Google Places dashboard.

I checked the address line on the Google+ page to see what it naturally wanted to suggest and that led me to removing the suite number for the moment. Inside the Google Places dashboard the pin on the map was in a field of blue which seemed odd, so I started zooming out until I found dry land and there it was off the coast of Africa! I saw the Suite number in Address Line 1 and immediately removed it, which moved the pin to the proper spot. I then added the Suite into Address Line 2 and everything stayed normal.

I am aware of the importance of the NAP info being correct, but I am not sure that I know the best way to determine the best format. I am looking forward to the day I can get formal training from you Linda. Until then I will just keep using my brain and reading what I can from you so I can do my best to raise my level of expertise to yours! Thanks for having this forum. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
VERY interesting and thanks for sharing. Hopefully it will help others.

Re my training - not trying to sell you on it at all. But would just like to suggest that if time is money and you value your time and I can show you a bunch of time saving tricks (save you time AND hair pulling) then you use that time to get more clients PLUS get better results more easily, then you can make more money. So many consultants that have taken my training find it just kinda ended up paying for itself. Just sayin' :p (Again not trying to sell you - I don't need to do more training, just hate to see people struggle.)

BTW your name cracks me up every time I see it - makes me think a MapMaker bot is invading our forum! :p

VERY interesting and thanks for sharing. Hopefully it will help others.

Re my training - not trying to sell you on it at all. But would just like to suggest that if time is money and you value your time and I can show you a bunch of time saving tricks (save you time AND hair pulling) then you use that time to get more clients PLUS get better results more easily, then you can make more money. So many consultants that have taken my training find it just kinda ended up paying for itself. Just sayin' :p (Again not trying to sell you - I don't need to do more training, just hate to see people struggle.)

BTW your name cracks me up every time I see it - makes me think a MapMaker bot is invading our forum! :p

Too late, I am already sold on the idea of getting trained by you.

The Cleaner name is kind of a reference to the character of the Cleaner in both Pulp Fiction and Point of No Return, both played by Harvey Keitel. I have this thing where I clean up the messes that other people make, normally it has nothing to do with corpes though. :)

Ha! Didn't even know about 'those' cleaners. :p

I figured I should share a problem I found with a Google listing today. A company that had been showing up on the map with no issues before was now nowhere to be found. As I examined it, I discovered the listing address was pinned out in the ocean off of the coast of Africa instead of being in a city in America. The problem was completely due to the fact that someone had listed the Suite number on Address line 1, instead of Address line 2.

The Google guidelines state that we should use line 2 for Suites but certainly many listings incorrectly have the Suite in line 1. Do it right, play it safe and make sure any and all Suite numbers are listed in their proper place... line 2.

Out of curiosity what is the URL for the G+ Local page or GMM feature of the company. Did changing the address actually push it into the ocean, was it another user or did a bot do it?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom