More threads by Brian

Brian

Reaction score
How do search results differ when someone searches just the keyword. For example a person located in Cincinnati searches Divorce attorney instead of searching divorce attorney Cincinnati? Are people more likely to search just Divorce Attorney?

Yes, according to my albeit limited research a TON more search with KW only as opposed to KW city or city KW. I have some results somewhere I can find and share.

And thing is the search results are totally different that way. I have lots of clients that are #1 for City KW but if you search KW only, with location set to that city they may be D or F. However the results are flipped and mixed up and the guy that was F for City KW may be A for KW only. I've never been able to figure out what triggers the difference or the best mix to get someone ranking for both type of searches.

OK here are some stats from 2011 I posted here:Important Google Places SEO Group Research re GEO Modifiers, Search Behavior and Rank Tracking

Here are his September Adwords Express impression stats. So this is not how people ‘SAY’ they search (as in Myles’ study) but the actual stats showing how many searches where ACTUALLY DONE various ways.

Keywords | Impressions
dentist 2430
city dentist 586
dentist city 483
dentists 376
dentists city 119

(Note: Above stats are from a small – medium sized East Coast city)

So 4 times MORE searches were for KEYWORD(s) without city. This makes sense to me if you think about the ‘average’ consumer. We live in a search world and know about modifiers and everything. But I bet Betty Sue soccer Mom looking for a new dentist types just Dentist. Then possibly if she does not find what she’s looking for she’ll refine her search with City + keyword. But if you just type Dentist it WILL show you a pack of local results with a map.

Keywords | Impressions
plumber 3353
plumbers 2496
city plumbers 1320
plumbers city 298

(Note: Above stats are from a large East Coast city)

Almost 3 times more searches for plumber(s) than city plumber(s).

BrightLocal did a study, (below) and 58% SAID they searched with city. But that was a study of how consumers SAY they search. Whereas above is actual results of what WAS searched for.
How Users Search For Local Businesses + 5 Tips To Optimize Local Listings

But even if only about 50% search without city modifier, if you get your client ranking well for KW only that could mean double the clicks or calls. Could be significant.

But ranking for KW only without geo modifier is never discussed. I think mainly because most of us in the biz focus on ranking for city KW and that's how clients often check their ranking too. I also think most of us don't understand how that algo works PLUS until recently most rank trackers could not track location based searches for KW only. For a long time Scout was the only one that could, but now I think Bright has that option as well.

But ranking for KW only without geo modifier is never discussed. I think mainly because most of us in the biz focus on ranking for city KW and that's how clients often check their ranking too. I also think most of us don't understand how that algo works PLUS until recently most rank trackers could not track location based searches for KW only. For a long time Scout was the only one that could, but now I think Bright has that option as well.

Yep, I can confirm BrightLocal does have that option in their rank tracker now as well (finally!)

Hi Brian,

For better understanding how the users search you shall use Google Trends. Here is an example:

2267567.jpg

You can try the same for any other keyword. Please be sure you select the right location when generating the report.

When tracking local ranking results, be sure you are not tracking only Places results but also Organic local results in order to have a clear view about how your site is ranking and about your competitors.

Hope this helps

2267567.jpg

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom