More threads by Susan Walsh

Reaction score
Hi,

Our client has had a verified Google+ Local/Places page for 2 years now.
https://plus.google.com/108299034679523836363/about?hl=en

We created a Google+ Business page for them recently. When we created the Business Page we chose the Local Business or Place category, it picked up their information and we proceeded to create what we think is a Google+ Business Page. Google+ wants us to verify the new Business Page. If we verify it, is it going to merge the page?

We want to make sure that if we verify the Business page it doesn't merge it with their Local page yet. We are waiting until we hear from the expert "you":) when it's OK to merge Google+ Local and Google+ Business pages.

Please let us know if what you think. Also, if any of you are merging Local and Business pages and if it's working well.

Thanks!
Susan

Hi Susan,

Yes, if you verify it, it will merge the G+ Business page with the G+ Local page (ideally). That is how it works.

I would hold off on verifying right now in light of the recent announcement from Google that existing accounts are starting to be upgraded to the new dashboard where the upgrade process will be seamless.

"Google is saying: Wait for your Dashboard to be upgraded and then you can the social features with the click of a button. Otherwise if you try to upgrade now you will have to reverify."

Google Starting to Convert Existing Dashboards to the New Places for Business Dashboard | Understanding Google Places & Local Search

Hi Susan,

If you already created a G+ Business page then I think you 'may' have already gone a step beyond what Colan is talking about.

With the new dash, if you waited and did not already have a G+ Biz page then I believe it creates one with one click basically. Or essentially upgrades the Place page to a verified G+ Business page automatically.

However since you already created a G+ Biz page I'm not sure what will happen. I think it will be out there as a separate page. Then if you upgrade via the new dash, it would upgrade the existing Place page, so then you'd have 2 biz pages. The new dash I don't believe is going to auto merge the existing G+ page you already created.

At least that's what I "think" but I could be wrong and I don't think anyone knows for sure what would happen, because I don't know anyone that's tried it yet.

I think this quote from Google gives some insight to this situation as well:

I?m using Google+ to manage the local page for my business; what should I do?
Please continue using Google+ for management, as you had before. If you were using both Google+ and Google Places for business, you should continue doing so. When we are ready to migrate the pages that have social features, we will have further instructions.

Hi Susan,

If you already created a G+ Business page then I think you 'may' have already gone a step beyond what Colan is talking about.

With the new dash, if you waited and did not already have a G+ Biz page then I believe it creates one with one click basically. Or essentially upgrades the Place page to a verified G+ Business page automatically.

However since you already created a G+ Biz page I'm not sure what will happen. I think it will be out there as a separate page. Then if you upgrade via the new dash, it would upgrade the existing Place page, so then you'd have 2 biz pages. The new dash I don't believe is going to auto merge the existing G+ page you already created.

At least that's what I "think" but I could be wrong and I don't think anyone knows for sure what would happen, because I don't know anyone that's tried it yet.

Hi Colan,

Thank you for you input! The Google+ Business page is asking to verify it. I'll hold off for now as you suggest. I have been exploring Google+ Business pages since we created one when they finally let businesses do that, but it was before, they added Local to Google+.

We use our Google+ Profile pages and Business page daily to post to each other and sometimes Public and to Circles. We constantly use the Hangouts feature - it always works - we can share our desktops to show "how to's" and troubleshooting. I've had a hangout with one of our clients and another one wants WordPress training via a Hangout (we are checking into G+ Policies to make sure we are not breaking any rules).

As I go through all the new design features, I found that it is easy to delete a Page once you create one. But I would not want to delete a the Local page, that's why I'll wait until you think it's stable enough to merge a G+ Local and Business Page.

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your input too! My fear of verifying G+ Local and the Business page is that it will create a Local duplicate in Google search. Is that what you mean? Those are much harder to have deleted than a Google+ Business page. We still don't have the new Dashboard :( - I don't think it's ever going to Massachusetts! I saw your Business page and it looks great. I'm following.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom