More threads by Dave Cosper

Reaction score
I read an article this morning in the WSJ that later this year a bunch of new domains are slated to roll out. Domains like .plumber, .newyork, etc.

IMO, from a Local SEO standpoint, a geographic reference like .seattle or a specific keyword in the website URL like .dentist is undeniably attractive.

I put together a short blog on this topic a few minutes ago:
Will Domains ".chicago" and ".plumber" be the New Local Search Signal? - EZlocal Blog

Any thoughts on how, or if, these new domains will factor into Google's local algo?

re: Local SEO Thoughts on New Domains (e.g., ".chicago", ".dentist")?

Very interesting find Dave! Thanks for sharing.

Since right now Google still loves EMDs for local I imagine she would love happyteeth.dentist and 24hour.plumber and alpinedental.newyork.

Plus since good .coms are so hard to find, it would open up a whole world of possibilities.

Re: Local SEO Thoughts on New Domains (e.g., ".chicago", ".dentist")?

Ah, a new generation of spam and scam. That's right, ICANN, pile it on. Gotta hit those quarterlies.

Thanks, Dave. I hadn't seen that. Now I'll have enough time before autumn to hatch a sweet domain-squatting campaign :)

Ah, a new generation of spam and scam. That's right, ICANN, pile it on. Gotta hit those quarterlies.

Thanks, Dave. I hadn't seen that. Now I'll have enough time before autumn to hatch a sweet domain-squatting campaign :)

I call dibs on .winning and .local

FWIW ...

Organizations that applied for top-level domains had to shell out a one-time fee of $185,000 and will be docked an annual fee of $25,000 to maintain ownership of the domain. Trademark owners that decide against registering a new top-level domain but still want to protect their brand can pay an annual fee of $150 to protect their namesake.

What's missing in this effort to guess the effectiveness of the new tld's is how the search engines might/will treat these... Isn't this the most important point?

Also - How have .info and .us and .mobi done for ranking? I do not see them up there very often but the paradox is I see .info ranking more now than ever before. Previous performance is not a reliable predictor of much online.

Also - As Phil pointed out, the propensity for spam is incredibly high with these new domains and believe me, the domainers are on it like flies on a croc! Let the squatting begin. Duck walking abounds.

Also - Our limited geographic experience is that G is turning down the effect of Emd's over the last few months.

May we live in interesting times - I guess. Tough call to gamble on whether these are worthwhile or not.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom