More threads by D37

D37

Reaction score
Hey just wanted to say that I'm super happy to have found this forum. There seems to be a ton of great information on Google Plus Local. I look forward to learning from one another.

I'm new to ranking maps listings and was wondering a few things:

- How long on average does it take for a brand new business to rank in Google Plus Local's top 7 listings?

- Do you recommend any good plan / training that will give me a step-by-step guide on how to rank a brand new business in organic and Google Plus Local well?

- Is it best to get a whole bunch of citations first before you try and claim a listing?

Hey just wanted to say that I'm super happy to have found this forum. There seems to be a ton of great information on Google Plus Local. I look forward to learning from one another.

Hey D37, welcome and glad you are finding the info helpful!

I'll try to answer your Qs below. (My answers in blue.)

I'm new to ranking maps listings and was wondering a few things:

- How long on average does it take for a brand new business to rank in Google Plus Local's top 7 listings?

For a new listing to even show up at all in KW searches can take about 6 weeks because it takes time to work into the local database.

Then to get to 7 pack depends on a TON of factors. Competition for one. But just setting up a G+L page won't usually get a listing on page 1 for even semi competitive terms. Even with lots of citations. Because for most core keywords Google uses the blended algo. And in that algo the ranking order is 90% based on ORGANIC ranking factors. So you'll even see unclaimed listings rank A. That's because of the strength of the web site.

There are in my estimation over 300 factors that go into the blended algo. Just claiming and even well optimizing the G+L page is one small part of the puzzle these days.

- Do you recommend any good plan / training that will give me a step-by-step guide on how to rank a brand new business in organic and Google Plus Local well?

Mine? (Toot, toot, hear my horn?) :p

It's expensive, but you get what you pay for. Many of my consultants came to me after taking one of the other courses, learned the wrong way to do it, got clients suspended, lost clients, wasted WEEKS trying to fix stuff and pulling their hair out cuz nothing was working as they were taught it should. Even pros I train get a lot out of my courses.

(I have 2. One for Advanced G+ Local Optimization, best practices and short cuts.
One for on-site Local SEO, which these days is what can really move the needle.)

- Is it best to get a whole bunch of citations first before you try and claim a listing?

Most businesses already have citations if they've been around for any time at all. Is this a brand new business??? I would do manual listings at several of the MAJORs and click to be sure they are live and actually approved. Then claim the listing. I don't think you need to do a ton in advance. BUT if there is nothing anywhere on the web about the business G may not have much trust in the listing.

Linda: I am going to give you more of a chance to tell us about your training.

Is it only available (face to face) offline? And, is it only available to people in the US?

Do you do any Webinars or anything else that can assist people online?

I'm particularly keen to gain value from the "Local Organic SEO" tricks that you speak about.

Hi Nick,

No face to face. It's all via phone, with me personally. No recorded or canned content. Personalized for your needs. 3 hours. Recorded so you have for refresher or training staff.

I will train folks from overseas HOWEVER I only train at very limited times and often the time zones don't work out. Plus I always stress that certain things may be a little different overseas - BUT all the core concepts and 99% of the training applies no matter where you are.

If you want to email me I can send you detailed info. It's about a 4 page Word doc so too much to post here. linda AT catalystemarketing DOT com

edited to add - above refers to G+L (Google Places Training)

The Local SEO Training (On-site SEO) is also via phone and recorded but is only 1.5 hours and I have a little bit more time flexibility working that one in.

Thanks Linda.

i'm assuming that "on the phone" also includes Skype? ;)

I'm interested in getting more info on your training, so I'll drop you an email.

Per the original Q how long to rank. See this new VERY important thread where top local experts answer that question.

Local SEO Ranking Expert Survey - How Long Does It Take?

Nick, for me to record, you need to call into my conf line # so you can do that via Skype BUT I have tons of probs with Skype and dropped calls so hesitate using it as the training is JAM packed and there isn't time for me to keep repeating because you dropped off and having to start over and over and over. Just had it happen on Sunday. 4 dropped calls with me hitting important stuff, not knowing I was talking to thin air. Then wasted time trying to figure out what he missed to start over. 4 TIMES! Seriously impacted quality of training and made us have to go 1/2 hour over time.

Thanks a lot for this great information Linda. Yes, it is a new business. When I have some more money I will definitely look into your private training.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom