More threads by DarrenW

Reaction score
[h=3]Hey, another question from me! I saw this tip from a reputable SEO company and wondered if it was a recommended tactic when setting up a G+ local biz page

Thanks guys - love this forum FYI

"FREE TIP
[/h]The workaround: when asked for the URL of your site when setting up your Google+ Local profile, enter your ?About Us? URL or even your ?Contact Us? page URL.
If the organic URL is different to the local URL ? both can rank."

I usually don't do that because the "contact us" page typically doesn't have a whole lot of content on it. I recommend the other way around - list the homepage with the local listing and create subpages for each location you serve/want to rank in and try and get the location pages to rank for geotargted keywords.

Eric is right because about us and contact us are not usually well optimized.

You can do the same thing he mentioned with KW optimized pages.

Link Place page to home because that's normally the page that's easiest, best to rank.
Then create a page named drjohn.com/citydentist.html and optimize that one for organic. :)

Eric is right because about us and contact us are not usually well optimized.

You can do the same thing he mentioned with KW optimized pages.

Link Place page to home because that's normally the page that's easiest, best to rank.
Then create a page named drjohn.com/citydentist.html and optimize that one for organic. :)

I believe I learned that tactic from this forum months ago when I first became a member here :D Sharing knowledge - A huge reason why this is such a great place to be

I believe I learned that tactic from this forum months ago when I first became a member here :D Sharing knowledge - A huge reason why this is such a great place to be

Thanks Eric - sharing is what we are all about.

And comments like that are why we keep doing what we do Eric! :)

Thanks for the great advice guys.

One more question to extend on this, kinda...

If the keyword the homepage is targeting doesn't trigger the local pack results, would you....

1. Change the keyword the homepage is targeting (depending on current rankings)

2. Create an internal page, targeting a pack generating query and then link to that from the +local page?

Appreciate your thoughts and advice :)

Tweak the content on the page. Since the blended rankings pull a lot of power from organic strength, it would be better in the long run to change the homepage content a little.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Have you guys seen Dr Petes recent post on Moz about the local results - How Does Google Count Local Results? - Moz

going back to the first point I made on this post

"adding a link to an internal page from your +local page"

looking at the post from Dr Pete, it highlights that essentially the local results below the blended results in this image (L1, L2 & L3) are there purely on the merit of their location/local seo as to be expected.
So, what I'm wondering is...does this provide a case for adding in an internal link to your local + page and also optimising your homepage for a similar query to get the 2 rankings on page one (given you operate from a single location) as your homepage will inherently be a stronger page / easier to rank in organic?

Just thinking outloud as I'm currently working solo with no one to brainstorm with :confused:

I think since the homepage would have more authority/ranking power, it would be more beneficial to list the homepage in the Google Places URL field. Dr. Pete showed how pages ranked when you strip out local listings. I tried that myself and I definitely saw some interesting results. I still believe (like some others here) that the homepage will give you the best shot at high rankings for local.

Use homepage for local listing, and try to get the location sub-page to rank organically. That seems to be the best way to do it.

Eric, did you see my post from 2 days ago? It showed another way to do it that's easier in some ways and also shows what is in charge of the ranking order.

How the Google Local Algo Really Works - What Rules the Ranking Order

I did see that. Your way is definitely simpler. The AOL/Startpage way is easier and probably a little easier to explain to others. I probably won't show the start= parameter to the guys I train, since it might confuse them a little bit - I'll show your AOL method.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom