More threads by Travis Van Slooten

Solutions
Reaction score
I've been working with a client on getting duplicate Google+ Local pages deleted for weeks. We were able to get some of them removed but there was one that wouldn't go away. I've been submitting Trouble Shoot tickets to Google about every 3-4 weeks on this one particular listing.

Rosy originally responded that it will get deleted...but it never did. This particular listing had the business' old name. I suspected maybe the reason why Google wouldn't delete it was because it was a name change and thus should be treated like a move (i.e. mark the listing as closed). I then decided to try a name change via Map Maker, which actually worked. We were able to change the name of the business to their new business name. My thinking was then we'd be able to have it deleted because it was a true duplicate of their main page since both had the same business name.

My client has been in weekly communications with Rosy about this duplicate, basically bugging her to get the page removed. She just responded today with the following message:

We do not delete pages, they go through a data consolidation, the link you
just sent me is the link you own. I had been following up with it daily,
and it looks as though this consolidation just went through.

So in a nutshell, here's what happened...

1. We created a new page and fully optimized it. This was done months ago.
2. We discovered duplicates. A couple had his new business name, one had his old business name.
3. We trouble-shooted the 2 dupes with same names and had them successfully removed.
4. The one with the old business name wouldn't get deleted despite our efforts using Trouble Shooter.
5. After several confusing messages going back and forth with Rosy (that she was trying to delete it) I finally took matters in my own hands.
6. I went to Map Maker and changed the business name.
7. My client then followed up with Rosy to see if she can delete it now.
8. She responded with the message above.

In the end, Google merged the empty duplicate with the main page we created. You would think the merged listing would be on the main page url but instead it merged to the duplicate url. And as of now, the new merged listing is completely empty. I suspect the pictures and everything else will propagate in the coming weeks.

The main questions I have are this...

1. How was I able to make a dramatic name change in Map Maker? Doesn't a name change usually require verification?
3. Why is Rosy saying Google doesn't delete pages?
4. Who is Rosy:D Every response I've gotten from Google working with all of my clients has come from Rosy. Is she a real person or does every Google customer service rep go by Rosy?

Travis Van Slooten

Thanks for posting Travis, I think this relates to things I've posted about business moves AND the Dr/Lawyer/Dentist dupe situation.

EVEN IF a business owner posts on the Google Business forum and DEMANDS their listing be deleted from Google. They say they never created it, and don't want it on Google period (usually due to a really negative review) Google won't delete listings.

Google says if that business (or provider) has a public record on the Internet we won't delete it.

IMO this is because they can't control their scraping algo/system. Whether it's old business name, old location or Dr. dupe Google knows that even if they go to the trouble to delete it, as long as there are other citations (listings) around the net for that NAP (whether biz or practitioner) then the algo is just going to keep creating the listing.

So that's why I think Google now says they won't delete listings.

But your story was still very interesting and we thank you for posting as seeing indiv examples like this and hearing Google's response helps us figure things out.

"1. How was I able to make a dramatic name change in Map Maker? Doesn't a name change usually require verification?"

MM changes don't require verification but are flushed out by trusted mappers and sometimes need a Googler's approval.

"4. Who is Rosy Every response I've gotten from Google working with all of my clients has come from Rosy. Is she a real person or does every Google customer service rep go by Rosy?"

Travis, maybe you got lucky and scored a dedicated rep?

I see tons of support emails on the forum and lots that consultants send me too and have seen about every name in the book - but never Rosy. :)

Terrific documentation of your experience, Travis. It was great of you to write this all down for others to read. Thank you!

Thanks for clarifying my questions, Linda. Maybe I have been assigned a special Google rep...lol. I've been dealing with "Rosy" for months with various client issues so I was wondering what was up with that:D

Travis Van Slooten

Thanks for your post, About "Rosy" I think they do just certain areas I my be wrong but, I used to always get "Sandy" last year and now this year I always get "Rosy".
What area is your client from? Most of mine are in Florida.

I have various clients in CA, FL, MN, WI, and NY. That's why it's so weird we keep getting the same person.

Travis Van Slooten

Thanks for your post, About "Rosy" I think they do just certain areas I my be wrong but, I used to always get "Sandy" last year and now this year I always get "Rosy".
What area is your client from? Most of mine are in Florida.

I have various clients in CA, FL, MN, WI, and NY. That's why it's so weird we keep getting the same person.

Travis Van Slooten

Now makes it a little odder, Here is another one for you. I always get Rosy now and before I always got Sandy, the funny part is now when Rosy does a edit for me in MM Sandy comes back and approves it for Rosy. I know its nothing but it is a little bit odd, Sorry for getting off the main subject. Just had to get that out there because I have had the same thoughts.

Too funny. Maybe Rosy and Sandy are just more bots. :p

(Self driven cars and support robots? Pretty soon we won't need people for anything and everyone will be out of a job. Automation hmph!a) :p

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom