More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Google just updated the link schemes section of the Webmaster guidelines to add large-scale guest posting, advertorials and optimized anchor text in articles or press releases. These were added to the list of types of links that violate the current webmaster guidelines.

Google Warns Against Large-Scale Guest Posting, Advertorials & “Optimized Anchor Text” In Press Releases [and Article Marketing]

The new guideline examples that were added to this document include:

Large-scale article marketing or guest posting campaigns with keyword-rich anchor text links

Advertorials or native advertising where payment is received for articles that include links that pass PageRank

Links with optimized anchor text in articles or press releases distributed on other sites.

We have another thread going that includes a poll and good tips for Link building for Local SEO.

tx for the heads up, Linda:

I did a lot of cheap easy directory linking years ago, certainly used anchor text linking, and some of these other methods.

In the past it worked in google, and frankly they tacitly approved of it by acknowledging these methods via higher rankings. I recall commentary a few years ago by a google engineer promoting and supporting anchor text links. In fact at that time it surprised me, even as it was a couple of years ago.

Clearly on a grand level they have determined it now is done, and has been done over time on a scale such that it manipulates rankings and so have decided to both penalize it and at the same time warn against further usage.

Damn, I wish they hadn't penalized older applications as they used to tacitly accept it. It forces folks to work with disavow tools and undo that which google promoted in the past.

I found the reference to Press Releases to be VERY interesting!!!!!! In the past Matt Cutts has said PR releases get NO link value. This latest comment infers they do get value...and or when put in a PR release, if it does get wide distribution it conveys value.

Hence PR releases can and do work....but it looks like one is going to have to use url's and not anchor text. If the PR release gets spread and copied....you have a damned good effective document....Good for you. Just don't use anchor text.

Ample warning IMHO.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom